Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Yes and no

With the proper tools, it's simple. Without the proper tools, you can damage the head tube on the bike. This is one you might want to take to the LBS.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
Yeah..headset change can be done on your own if you have some experience (which seems you don't since you need to ask ;) ) As Bob, I recommend you go to your LBS for this one.. and maybe watch how they do it so you next time...

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
Speedub.Nate said:
With a minimal investment in a length of copper pipe, a bolt, nut and a few fender washers, the world (of headsets) is your oyster.

Totally do-able, even for a novice: https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=130069

I installed my last headset following your great pictorial... but I'm not so sure most newbies will be successful... of course some, especially if good with tools, should be able to do it fine...

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Nice link

Mike T. said:
It's easy. Try my Headset Info and Speedub.Nate, it even shows my new updated section on the el-cheapo headset press!
I've done several removals and installations using similar home made tools myself. If the OP is not ham-handed in their wrenching skills, the method works just fine. If not, off to the LBS.

Bob

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Depends on brand as well

Something to keep in mind. Some brands (Chris King comes to mind immediately) require that the headtube be faced and require special adapters for installation in order to be under warranty. As a former mechanic who replaces headsets at home (with a proper removal tool, and a homemade headset press similar to the one seen in the above video), if you got to ask, pay the $20 and have a LBS do it for you. If they'll let you watch, then maybe next time you can do it yourself.:nono:

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bgmtbiker said:
The OP said that he wanted to change out, which implies removing the headset...not just putting one on.
Exactly, I want to replace a headset. I would prefer not to go to the LBS as I have a headset myself and they don't like it if I don't buy parts from them, but if it is so difficult I will have to go.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.