·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
162 Posts
redfooj said:
i cant imagine how much different it can be (if at all) from the 200$+ kelly and vicious
At ~1400g, it is significantly heavier (45% heavier than the weights listed on Webcyclery for the other two). And even if you are not a weight-weenie, you have to wonder what all that extra material does to the ride quality.

Good price for what is probably a competent fork.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Just got mine yesterday. It was in the 'returns' section for $35. We'll see about the ride, as my bike is nowhere near complete. Although, the finish is not so great around the leg/crown race weld area -- which is why I think it was returned.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
SpinWheelz said:
At that weight and untested pedigree, why wouldn't someone opt for the relatively featherweight Kona Project 2 fork instead?
Length. The Nashbar fork is 453 mm A-C. The P2 420-430mm

Mine arrived today. I was surprised at the weight (dead on 1400g, should have read the details better). 225g more than a Karate Monkey fork (no lightweight in its own right).

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
1 cog frog said:
So is that a 29er fork? or is it corrected for a 100 mm 26er fork? Sounds like you could go either way.
The latter.
With discs and a goog hacksaw job to remove the ugly mis-placed canti mounts, 29" with just ~60mm suspension correction. It looks to me it's using simply overbuilt tubing to not have to care about durability at the low investment they were looking for?

·
Just Ride!
806 Posts
Beware: Geary content

I had mine for a while but now I sure wished I looked at the used section. Yep it is quite heavy and very stiff/jarring ride. Made my steering a bit funky because my bike was designed around an 80mm suspension fork. I will probably dremel the studs brake studs off one day. Btw, I apologize for the mess and the bad shot. Thanks

·
"Mr. Britannica"
1,818 Posts
shiggy said:
Length. The Nashbar fork is 453 mm A-C. The P2 420-430mm

Mine arrived today. I was surprised at the weight (dead on 1400g, should have read the details better). 225g more than a Karate Monkey fork (no lightweight in its own right).
the 26" P2 is 410mm- that's according to Kona and as measured. Weight is 795gm uncut according to Kona, but more like 980-990gm as measured.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
shiggy said:
The canti studs are removable BTW.
Whilst I don't subscribe to the "disc brake loosening the skewer by vibration or something" theory, I do think, and have found, that disc brakes can force the wheel down in the dropout on the disc side under hard braking.

The problem I see with those forks is that the slot in the dropout appears to be in line with the force vector from the disc brake when it's locked on hard (imagine, pads grab disc and wheel keeps turning, resulting in a torque/force/thing going on, centre point "the pads")

It might be OK. Just, er, watch it... my forks tend to have dropouts angled forwards rather than backwards for this reason.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Whilst I don't subscribe to the "disc brake loosening the skewer by vibration or something" theory, I do think, and have found, that disc brakes can force the wheel down in the dropout on the disc side under hard braking.

The problem I see with those forks is that the slot in the dropout appears to be in line with the force vector from the disc brake when it's locked on hard (imagine, pads grab disc and wheel keeps turning, resulting in a torque/force/thing going on, centre point "the pads")

It might be OK. Just, er, watch it... my forks tend to have dropouts angled forwards rather than backwards for this reason.
Yup. That they are. Would have been easy to just swap the dropouts side-for-side and have them angle forward rather than back.

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
shiggy said:
Yup. That they are. Would have been easy to just swap the dropouts side-for-side and have them angle forward rather than back.
Why, is there no rake to this fork? (Ask that question anywhere outside of a bike context and you'll get a lot of funny looks, for sure)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.