Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guy's just a wee heads up if you use CRC on our side of the pond. They've had a lot of people getting done for fraud on there cards directly after using them. See thread on singletrackworld. They're denying a connection but there's just too many folk been done over in the last week for there not to be a link.
http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/crc-security-issues?replies=140

·
Registered
26 Posts
That sucks!

I work for a consulting company that provides information security services for their clients and we see this all the time. Not sure about the laws in the UK but CRC does have an obligation and responsibility to ensure that their clients sensitive data such as CC numbers are kept secure.
Sounds like hackers got into CRC's database and are accessing the clients data. At the very least CRC needs to take steps to determine where the vulnerabilites are in their network and shore them up.

·
transmitter~receiver
9,334 Posts
ibbo said:
It seems it's only buyers who pay direct by Credit/Debit card.I've bought recently and as always use paypal with no issues:thumbsup:
paypal is an added layer of protection, but i still always pay with a credit card (through paypal).
i've been hosed by paypal buyer "protection" before.

·
Underskilled
4,807 Posts
Data protection in the UK is very strict, stupidly so.
Very little you can do if a competent hacker is attacking your system though.

·
Tool
1,973 Posts
CaveGiant said:
Data protection in the UK is very strict, stupidly so.
Very little you can do if a competent hacker is attacking your system though.
Partially true. If a hacker is intercepting the data as it travels, there's not much that can be done except to reduce/eliminate the exposure points. Where vendors can make a difference is by NEVER storing CC information unless the customer gives explicit permission for them to store it. There have been too many security breaches where the information was scraped off disc after being stored with no apparent benefit to the eventual victims.

·
Registered
61 Posts
It happened to me about 9 months ago after a purchase at CRC. A bunch of charges from a
polish dating service. Credit card company didn't even blink at those charges, but buy something from the Apple Store gets a hold placed on the card, phone calls and e-mails saying there is suspicious activity. :)

UR

·
Registered
11 Posts
PatrickK said:
Use paypal. EOD
PimpPal, the perpetual slow motion fraud...

I mean c'mon, I use it too but not when I can safely avoid it. So I always pay CRC via CC.
And just yesterday I got defrauded! :D

Some moron charged my CC for 400 euros for some tickets.
Transactions and CC canceled by bank. Oh, internet's a jolly place...

·
Registered
333 Posts
Not sure if it's a coincidence but I made a purchase from CRC about 9 months ago...yesterday I got a call from my CC company asking to verify if I had spent $80 at iTunes. I hadn't! I don't believe in coincedences....

·
Registered
626 Posts
kaltsoplyn said:
PimpPal, the perpetual slow motion fraud...

I mean c'mon, I use it too but not when I can safely avoid it. So I always pay CRC via CC.
And just yesterday I got defrauded! :D

Some moron charged my CC for 400 euros for some tickets.
Transactions and CC canceled by bank. Oh, internet's a jolly place...
I never had a problem with Paypal etc. There is nothing wrong with it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
According to people who have spoken to them in the last few days there is a major fraud investigation going on there...total nightmare for them... there as much victims as the customers. But If you've used a credit or debit card with them in the last few weeks I'd keep a very close eye on that card. Perhaps speak to your provider as they may wish to replace the card as a precaution. Some UK banks are doing this with their customers cards without any fraud taking place as they are concerned the database is compromised.

Oh and the paypal side of things does appear to be completely fine, so if you need to make a purchase this would be the way to go for the time being.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Some credit card companies (Discover, for example) has a one time, on-line credit card number that's secure for a single transaction for just this purpose. You establish a single card number for each transaction. It cannot be used again. Check with your card company.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Bought a few things from CRC recently. Never had a problem with them before. As soon as they charged my card this time, literally thousands of dollars worth of stuff and services were attempted to be fraudulently charged on my card.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.