Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well the week went fast on the run up to Brake Burner, as it would with whipping up to Singapore for 3 days… I digress….

The back was not perfect, but was good enough to ride and not let the Headless Horsemen down…

Momentus arrived down in Queenstown / Wanaka on Thursday, the rest of the team were arriving Friday… When we arrived it was pissing down. Like major rain, so it was an odd kinda feeling, would it be cancelled and moved to Sunday etc etc.

So the Headless Horsemen of Momentus, KillerB, Mudgie, Skinner and Whafe

We built our bikes up on Friday evening and had a dip in the hot pools at the place we were staying at, cruised into the thriving metropolis of Wanaka and had a huge feed… The Sticky Date pudding ROCKED….

We left at 7.15 on the dot for Coronet Peak, it would be about an hours drive, we wanted a good pit position and get to registration as we started, part of Momentus and my on time traits…

When we arrived at the carpark etc, it was as cold as fock. BUT, the rain had stopped, so this was a great thing, we could see the sun peeking through the fog on the mountain…

We got ready etc etc and headed to the start line. Was a small up hill to the chair lift, and they let pairs go each 30 seconds, cause it was all timed…

The course was pretty much say 80% DH and some climbing… I will describe the trail as quite technical in places, the uphill sections were quite tough for sure, I would say a good 80% of peeps were pushing their steeds on this section. SO we all timer transponders and had to ride for 6 hours.. Our group for sure never won, but had a blast…. Skinner finished, no shiat, at 5 hours, 59 minutes and 59 seconds… Legend…

Will let the pictures tell the rest. Thanks to Shay on the 40D Digi SLR, Mudgie on the Canon P&S, Whafe on the P&S... With more to come from KillerB's camera..

Was cool to see Mark Wier riding, that grin he has in all his ad’s is pretty spot on, seemed friendly enough to me though… He didn’t win either… I thought he would spank every one. I saw him cramping pretty bad at one point. He rode a VP Free, am thinking he may have chosen the wrong bike really. Anyway, am sure he enjoyed being down under in the land of New Zealand…

Met some peeps off of MTBR which was pretty cool. Great to meet in a flash Haggis, go you good thing you, and a few others of which the names elude me, sorry for that….

Pics below am sick of typing

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
More and more

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More de more de more

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
More de more de more de more

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh and some more

Attachments

·
May contain nuts
2,420 Posts
Hey Whafe, sorry I wasn't more sociable - was trying to keep my lunch down after those bastard hills... There was a shite load of climbing, lots more than last year due to all the construction.

That heavy rain on Friday, after a long dry spell, damped down the berms nicely eh?. Track was bedded in well after a few runs, then cut up a bit toward the end, as can be expected with 200-odd riders hurling themselves down it. No dust was a bonus though.

Anyhoo, Mark Weir and his WTB buddy put on a good show, but local legend and last year's winner Geoff Small took it by 2mins from Weir. Was cool to be able to ride and chat with those guys...

Fun weekend, even the kids enjoyed themselves...

Weir, Small, Unknown and my wee guy...(Jump pic's from [email protected])

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
heavens to morgatroid some more

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No problem Haggis, great to hook up ever so briefly... Yeah there was indeed some climbing for sure...... Small was ripping it up..........

Sweet shots, hope we can cross paths again at some stage....

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oh boy! More

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
for goodness sakes, not more..................

Attachments

·
May contain nuts
2,420 Posts
Whafe said:
No problem Haggis, great to hook up ever so briefly... Yeah there was indeed some climbing for sure...... Small was ripping it up..........

Sweet shots, hope we can cross paths again at some stage....
Love that pic of Weir cruising past your posse. (Results may indeed have been different if he had a bike more suited for the climbs). The berms shots are awesome....

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Haggis said:
Love that pic of Weir cruising past your posse. (Results may indeed have been different if he had a bike more suited for the climbs). The berms shots are awesome....
Agree on the results prehaps being different. I would feel well comfortble that he will have been annoyed bringng a VP Freem too big a big, the Nomad would have been better for him..

But for us down in New Zealand, great to have him here, Was well recieved,,, He is one committed seruios cat when he is riding..:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
2WheelSoul - It did indeed take some logistics and effort, but well worth it. Some of the lads are staying down there for a few more days..

1soulrider - Was a blast, the rain that fell the day before was really just what the doctor ordered. It would have been really dry and dusty otherwise, and that real fine talcum powder type dust.... But yep, was berm city....

rroader - was a heap of fun, we all rode solo this time instead of teams, that way we could all ride together, was a great day...

Clyde S Dale - Was good to have a photo taker with a digi SLR, helps hugely....

The future could well get better on this mountain as far as lift assisted riding goes. More or less all the ski fields are on Crown land etc, so to get bikes on there as been some what of a positive. This year being the first year, so am sure with the feedback, they will go forward from here and assess the pro's & con's of making it more of a feature. The mountain itself could be built into some awesome trails. Although the NZ ski mountains down have trees... All the same, it could build into something.....

Would be cool to get a few more Northern Hemisphere peeps down under to ride, this will help things along hugely...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts