Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i haven't been on my mtn bike in at least a month, but today went over to the headlands since that's one of the best places to ride in the winter (at least from a trail condition standpoint). my normal 19 mile route includes climbing up old springs out of the stables. the beginning of that climb is always difficult (at least for me), steep, rocky, etc. i hadn't been there in several months and as i started out of the stables, much to my chagrin i discovered that the park managers had totally wiped out the lower section and replaced it with a new smooth trail without the same pitch, only one sharp turn after about 50 yds or so. i understand why they sanitized this section as it always takes a beating in the winter, but it was still disappointing since almost none of the good terrain in the headlands is bike legal.

other than that, it was a nice ride and it felt good to be back on the dirt. lots of people as well as wildlife.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Did you go up Miwok double track? That's even more sanitized than Old Springs. Seems to be the way of things in the Headlands. Old Springs is still a pretty decent climb and Green Gulch hasn't changed too much.

Let's hope Diaz Ridge is decent when finished although I'm highly skeptical.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
Thats sad. I try to get out that way a couple times a year. The trails weren't much of a challenge before. Now it sounds like things are getting worse.:sad:

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mttamrnr said:
Did you go up Miwok double track? That's even more sanitized than Old Springs. Seems to be the way of things in the Headlands. Old Springs is still a pretty decent climb and Green Gulch hasn't changed too much.

Let's hope Diaz Ridge is decent when finished although I'm highly skeptical.
i've never ridden miwok double track...or green gulch for that matter. sounds like i should.

·
YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
2,961 Posts
rsquared28 said:
Thats sad. I try to get out that way a couple times a year. The trails weren't much of a challenge before. Now it sounds like things are getting worse.:sad:
Your right, nuthin to see here, move along people, we got no good trails. sad sad sad. :cryin:

·
Registered
703 Posts
Horses . . .

If you ride Old Springs often, consider taking some pix while the trail is still fresh from repair. Then go back after a few rain days, & shoot from the same spots. Good evidence to show how much damage the horses do. The equestrian community always portrays us as trail trashing scoundrels. (but we're really just scoundrels)

BTW- I prefer rocky, primitive trails too. But all trails need maintenance, or they become unusable ruts -esp. old style over-grade tracks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
They clean up most of these trails every few years, depending on funds. Kinda like groomed snow. They will get de-sanitized with use over time, already better than they were, rains have helped.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.