Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
(slight return)
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a singlespeed newbie trying to avoid killing myself. I'm on a rigid 29er, 32:20, and need some advice, it's been a while since I've ridden the Headlands.

From Rodeo Beach I'm thinking going up Bobcat is better than going up Miwok?
From Tennesee Valley, how brutal is the climb up Coastal?
Is Middle Green Gulch open now? I read it might be closed in winter.

The sections I remember making use of my granny gear were going up coastal from Muir beach and another rocky section going north from Tennessee Valley. Can't remember if that was on Miwok or Coastal. Anything else to avoid on the ss?

Thanks!
-slide

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Slide

32 x 20 seems like a good ratio, though I think I have heard most say they run a 32 x 21.

Just rode it this morning...

Bobcat would be the easier albeit wiser ;) way on the SS, but of course takes a little longer and it does not lead right into Old Springs, watch out for all the gravel on Old Springs and I hope they still have those water bars. Almost lost it a few times coming down nto Tennessee Valley. Miwok is steep and short, good workout.

Coastal FR climb is a grunt with gears, Dave 8trak cleans it.

Woo just tired of thinking about a SS on those trails. Have fun with the new toy!

·
(slight return)
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Ryan,

Have you ridden it on the ss yet? Looks like 32:20 is about the same as 32:18 on a 26er. 32:20 seemed right on at cc but I'll admit to stopping twice on the way to the nike site. :eek: Next time fer sure.

Thanks for the info. Look for a post on a night ride there in the next couple weeks.

-slide

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
slide mon said:
Hey Ryan,

Have you ridden it on the ss yet? Looks like 32:20 is about the same as 32:18 on a 26er. 32:20 seemed right on at cc but I'll admit to stopping twice on the way to the nike site. :eek: Next time fer sure.

Thanks for the info. Look for a post on a night ride there in the next couple weeks.

-slide
Ive done it 29x32:20 twice. On Miwok, one time I made it up fine, the other I had to take a break, but didn't have to walk any. Bobcat was much more pleasant.

I think Tenesse Valley up Coastal I walked just the first 100yds or something, but don't quite remember.

·
(slight return)
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
grrrah said:
Ive done it 29x32:20 twice. On Miwok, one time I made it up fine, the other I had to take a break, but didn't have to walk any. Bobcat was much more pleasant.

I think Tenesse Valley up Coastal I walked just the first 100yds or something, but don't quite remember.
Hey grrrah,

Thanks, Bobcat it is!

RE Coastal from Tennessee Valley....it's starting to come back to me. Starts off steep and a bit rutted then contours to the right around a bend? Yeah, I think I remember that section now, that might be hard on the ss...

-slide

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
i think the headlands is a good ss training ground for you strong riders (ie, not me)...as others have said, the miwok climb is pretty steep, steeper than bobcat but shorter and less total vertical. i have never headed up and over coastal but that climb doesn't look like a barrel of laughs...the toughest climb that i do in the headlands is climbing up old springs out of the stables. it's pretty steep in spots, has some more technical (for the headlands) sections and some mud at the bottom. my normal loop in there consists of parking at the foot of the gg bridge, climbing up the road, down coastal, up bobcat, down marincinello to the stables, down to the beach (i usually take a peek to see if there's any wildlife over on one of the side trails on the way to the beach), back up to the stable, then climb old springs (hardly ever see anyone climbing this), down miwok and back up coastal to the road. sometimes i'll add some miles by going back up miwok, down old springs to the stables, up marincinello, then down bobcat before climbing coastal. in fact i may do that tomorrow if i'm not too tired....too many flights the past two months--i need some....:sleep:

·
WWYD?
1,604 Posts
You can even do this at night---legally!

slide mon said:
Hey grrrah,

Thanks, Bobcat it is!

RE Coastal from Tennessee Valley....it's starting to come back to me. Starts off steep and a bit rutted then contours to the right around a bend? Yeah, I think I remember that section now, that might be hard on the ss...

-slide
Haul it up Stables>Marincello>Bobcat>Miwok>Old Springs and Miwok on the Northside. Old timers could use to ride along the top of the ridge from Hawk Hill to all the Nike sites. Scary stuff back then, but sweet.

·
(slight return)
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cohenfive said:
... then climb old springs (hardly ever see anyone climbing this)
Hey, thanks for the info. Funny, my wife road the Headlands last week with the Velo Girls and they went up Old Springs. My response was "You went UP Old Springs?" Only been down it myself, ac ouple times but it's been a while.

-slide

·
Registered
631 Posts
slide mon said:
Hey Ryan,

-slide
The last time I SS'd the headands I cheated with a 32:22 gearing. I cleaned Miwok and Coastal, but it still wasn't pleasant. With 32:20 and a few more pounds and a few less miles to my name, I'm pretty sure I'll be walking towards the top of Miwok and at least resting on Coastal.

(The climbs on coastal are steep but come in steps, so the better you are at riding sloooow or track standing, the longer you can recover before the next grunt)

·
(slight return)
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JohnnyB, you'l have to fill me in more tomorrow. See you at the butt crack o early. Don't forget your ear muffs and remember, cream no sugar :thumbsup: :smilewinkgrin:

8trak, good tips, thanks! I've got a few extra pounds and few (make that a lot) less miles myself. I adapted to the slow part pretty easily :)

-slide

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.