Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, heading to Truckee and looking for some good trails to ride in a 1-1.5hr radius, so far on my list is: Mr. Toads Wild Ride (south lake) and a full day of Downieville DH. My group is willing to drive as far out as an hour and a half from our "home base" Truckee, e.g. Reno trails. I have another day to plan, where should we go? What should we ride?

Thanks
RM

·
Registered
123 Posts
Depending when you are visiting (currently under snow) I would recommend turning your toads ride into Heavenly to Toads on the TRT. My personal favorite ride in the Tahoe area. Park at the heavenly/stagecoach trail head of the TRT and ride to the top of toads on the TRT then descend toads. Requires a shuttle.

·
Registered
229 Posts
1. Up Star Lake trail to Friel Peak then down Armstrong connecter to Coral
2. Up the road to Armstrong connector then down Armstrong connecter to Coral
3. Hole in the Ground Trail

Lots more but that would get you started. I'd skip Toads myself.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts

Skip Toads but ride Hole in the Ground? that's an interesting choice...

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
If you are going to be in South Lake Tahoe and have never ridden Toad's...don't skip Toad's. I have been biking in the Tahoe / Northstar / Truckee area for years and finally went to SLT and rode Toad's and could not believe I didn't do it sooner. It's an amazingly fun trail.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
There's lots of threads in this forum about different rides in Tahoe, I'd search those out.

But it all depends on how many days you are riding and how much you want to drive. Downieville is an hour+ from Truckee, as is South Lake Tahoe (Toad's).

Another factor is how much climbing your crew can do at altitude.

Reno is pretty hot in the summer (90F+ most days), and there's much better trails in Tahoe area, so no need to go there.

The basic Toad's ride as a shuttle is pretty short (though a 4 mile climb), so you may want to plan multiple laps or other shuttles that day (such as Armstrong Connector-Corral). Personally, following leaguerider's suggestions, a great way to do Toads is to climb Armstrong to the Tahoe Rim Trail, and follow that to Mr. Toads (once the snow melts).

Lots of fun scenic riding on and around the Tahoe Rim Trail near Tahoe City, including the newish Big Chief trail.

DirtGypsy in Truckee can shuttle you to various spots in North Tahoe -- but you need to make plans with them in advance, as their "scheduled" shuttles don't always run.

Also check the Over the Edge Tahoe website for trail info and shuttles in South Lake Tahoe.

·
RIDDLELDDIR
1,583 Posts
Depending when you are visiting (currently under snow) I would recommend turning your toads ride into Heavenly to Toads on the TRT. My personal favorite ride in the Tahoe area. Park at the heavenly/stagecoach trail head of the TRT and ride to the top of toads on the TRT then descend toads. Requires a shuttle.
All trails are open. There is some snow, yes, but 90% clear. Shuttle via Over The Edge in South Lake. They go to Heavenly every day, every hour on the hour.

·
Registered
811 Posts

Rode Armstrong Connector and Corral a few days ago. Connector is super fun, but everything is so dry and loose that I found the trails that are more about berms and jumps (Lower Corral and Sidewinder) are not great right now, unless you like riding in those conditions.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Wait are you heading to Truckee or South Lake?

Both have amazing trails, as does Downieville and Quincy. But as noted... in summer time, it's 1-2 hours driving from Truckee to South Lake.

How are you getting there? If you're driving, you can hit Susanville (never been but heard good things), Mt Hough (Quincy) or Mills Peak (Greagle) or Downieville (park at the saddle, shuttle back) on your way to or from Truckee. Or even South Lake Tahoe (Truckee->SOuth Lake via westshore; South Lake->Washington via Carson City).

So much good stuff in Truckee proper and within a 15 minute drive, lots of threads on this forum.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Truckee & North Tahoe Riding

Great question! We just spent a month in the Truckee/North Tahoe area recently, and loved the riding. Our favorite spots were: 1) Truckee 2) Downieville and 3) South Yuba (near Nevada City). South Yuba is a lesser known trail, it used to be an IMBA epic trail and is remote and beautiful. There are details on Trailforks and recent reviews.

Our favorite Truckee trail was Yogi Bear - you can read about our Truckee adventure and details on the trail here!

Enjoy the trip!

Cheers,
Julie

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'll add a question to this thread instead of starting a new one.

Is Fountain Place Rd open to cars? I'd like to have my wife shuttle myself and the kids a few sidewinder and corral runs on a weekday visit. My kids (10,12) are tough climbers, but they need a reward for some tough training for swim champs. The only info my googlefu could find was from last year's posts of the road being closed for logging.

·
F*** it
1,277 Posts
^ Yep! There's a small parking lot right at the trailhead. I'll be there next Thursday (coming over from Luther Pass). Can't wait. If you haven't ridden Sidewinder before, there are some fun rock rollers that a lot of people miss.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.