Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
beautiful noise...
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I'll be down visiting from Oregon from the 10th-16th of July. I'll have limited time to ride and will be in the Tahoe area first. Due to other commitments I can only dedicate a single full day to each area. I'll also most likely be riding solo which leads me to think I should be looking towards the bike parks. I've done a bunch of reading on here and on the net but would like some specific suggestions curtailed more to my riding preferences and abilities.

I've got a 5"x5" trail bike, light armor (knee & elbo), and may pick up a full face (if need be). I would put my skill level in the intermediate range. I'm not super-human, I don't fly very well, drops over a few feet usually get walked, and I flat out suck at the following:

Skinnys
Doubles

I'm no DHer or Freerider! I refuse to hop on the AM label either. I ride a bike in the mountains which makes me a mountain biker :thumbsup: I look forward to a few suggestions on the "must ride" lists of y'all! I'll also be camping out of my van so any info on good spots would be appreciated as well. I'd also be open to riding with any of you fine folk too as meeting other mtbr cats is just kinda cool :cool: Thanks in advance!

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Tahoe Rim Trail round-trip from Mt. Rose

Here is a great ride you can do solo with no worries, see the beautiful Flume Trail, and get a really good workout. But it should be done on an even day only. Start at Mt. Rose, take the Tahoe Rim Trail (TRT) south down the Flume Trail counterclockwise, make a loop back up Hobart fire road a bit, get back on the TRT, north back to Mt. Rose. I figure it is about 32 miles. You could make it longer and/or more difficult if you like. If you start by about 9 am you will get off The Flume Trail before the tourists arrive. Photos and map here: http://arnica.csustan.edu/mtbike/Tahoe14/index.htm

An alternative is to find someone to shuttle with, which is easy to do, and ride from Mt. Rose down the Flume to Spooner Lake, then up to Kingsbury Grade, and then down Chinese Downhill to the Burger King. That's about 40 miles but some of the easiest, and most scenic 40 miles you'll ever do. See: http://arnica.csustan.edu/mtbike/Tahoe13/index.htm Again, this should be done on an even day only. See my video from July 8, '06 for some of the spectacular scenery.

I suggest you post closer to your arrival and I'm sure you could get someone to accompany you.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
I'm planing a trip or two to Mammoth this summer. If you google search for National forest campgrounds, there are a bunch at Mammoth and just up the road at June Lake. Some accept reservations, so you could nail down a key night or two.

·
Old,slow,still havin fun.
1,111 Posts
You can ride a whole lot of Mammoth and not jump or do skinnies, probably everything up through single back diamonds (not sure about Upper Shotgun? I only rode the lower section). The staff are really helpful with the status of the trails, etc.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Just a question here.

Why do you have a 5x5, armor of any kind and are willing to get a full face mask if you don't do Skinny's, doubles, drops and DH?

None of those items make you a mountain biker.

You sound equipped to enjoy Northstar but with that list would be in misery on the Flume.

·
beautiful noise...
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tastefully understating...

Alumni said:
Just a question here.

Why do you have a 5x5, armor of any kind and are willing to get a full face mask if you don't do Skinny's, doubles, drops and DH?

None of those items make you a mountain biker.

You sound equipped to enjoy Northstar but with that list would be in misery on the Flume.
Just tastefully understating things a bit? There's nothing worse then having someone tell you that they "love to ride mountain bikes" and then they come on a ride with you, only to find out that they're in way over their heads. I sure as hell don't like being that guy! My bike is a little more capable then me at times but I do enjoy the thrills of pushing it a little. The armor (661 Evo knee & elbow) was an addition after a few separate spills resulting in a cracked patella and fractured ulna (both results of the aforementioned pushing it).

I said I suck at skinny's and doubles, not that I don't attempt them. I'll often roll stuff (sometimes a few times) and then go back if I think I can nail it. I tend to sketch out a bit on bigger drops and jumps. I messed up a large table-top (15' gap) a few years ago that resulted in a broken wrist and concussion and have been a little hesitant to get more the a few feet of air since. I know it's mostly mental but I'm not getting any younger so I tend to exercise a little more caution now a days. I also ride clipless so the skinny's can't be too skinny if I'm to nail 'em.

I also hate the term "all-mountain" but I suppose if I had to use a term to describe riding my bike in the mountains, that'd suffice. I rarely shuttle and enjoy the high I get from conquering the entire mountain. I love a ripping DH even more! A good chunk of what I consider XC riding up here would get thrown into the AM category of a lot of riders from other places I suppose. We've got some pretty sweet riding here in OR :thumbsup: I grew up in Bend and I've been riding bikes in the mountains since I was a kid. Back then we called it "riding bikes" as we didn't know any better :D

I'm thinking of a day of XC/AM around Tahoe (for the views mostly) and spending a little more time at Mammoth. I'll then be off towards Fresno to visit family. I plan to hit one of my old favorites down there as well, 007. So, hopefully that alleviates some of your concerns and/or answers your questions in regard to my abilities and equipment. Now, where do I post to find someone to ride with in Fresno?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Like I said. Just a question.

If you want views and the opportunity to climb then head for Spooner Lake while in Tahoe and do the flume. Yes most everyone will tell you that the views are amazing but that the Flume itself is an easy ride. However, get a map and head up to Marlette Peak and Snow Peak and you will find climbs that will challenge the very very best.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
446 Posts
I'm thinking a nice mix would be -

- spend the day at Northstar, they have some fun stuff. You can get to some xc riding near the top of the area if you want to pedal more - see http://www.northstarattahoe.com/info/summer/biking.asp

- when you drive to Mammoth, take a route that goes along part of the shore of Lake Tahoe; maybe grab a swim and an early dinner somewhere along the way.

The Mt.Rose/Tahoe Meadows & Flume areas are (imo) not very technical and they can be very busy - but the scenery is unparalleled. That would (imo) be a scenic, slower sort of ride.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Unless your relatives are rich and you stand to inherit their money I would skip Fresno. I grew up in Visalia just south and it will be about as hot as the 7th ring of hell, will have horrible air quality and also is flat as a pancake.

Head past Fresno into the foothills for better weather, better riding, better scenery. Maybe they will join you as they will want to get out of Fresno as well.

·
beautiful noise...
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okie Dokie said:
Unless your relatives are rich and you stand to inherit their money I would skip Fresno. I grew up in Visalia just south and it will be about as hot as the 7th ring of hell, will have horrible air quality and also is flat as a pancake.

Head past Fresno into the foothills for better weather, better riding, better scenery. Maybe they will join you as they will want to get out of Fresno as well.
I believe the correct term for the temperature is "Hotter then Satan's ass-crack." :devil: I used to live there and am quite familiar with all that Fresno doesn't have to offer in the way of mountain biking. I intend to head up past Bass Lake and do 007 and maybe Goat Mountain. Just wondering where to post to find other mtbrs in the area that might want to hook up for a ride.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.