Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for suggestions of places to ride coming from Bellingham WA, we are used to being in tress, up fire roads, car to car about 12 miles. Our group all be rides mid-long travel trail bikes. After reading a bit I feel Eugene or Oakridge might be a better place for us.

What are your suggestions of places to ride in centralish OR, i.e. Bend vs. Oakridge vs. Eugene areas. We like tress and loam :) And of those places, what trails to ride? Solid black diamond and super fun trails only, singletrack preferred. Thanks in advance, R

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,272 Posts
IMO Blackrock (near Falls City) and Alsea Falls (near nothing) are must hits. Those plus Oakridge, though you won't find any features or stunts in Oakridge, just solid singletrack and a relaxing post-ride vibe. Then return to Oregon in September or early October to hit Bend's high country and enjoy its less-crowded-at-that-time-of-year brew pubs.
=sParty

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IMO Blackrock (near Falls City) and Alsea Falls (near nothing) are must hits. Those plus Oakridge, though you won't find any features or stunts in Oakridge, just solid singletrack and a relaxing post-ride vibe. Then return to Oregon in September or early October to hit Bend's high country and enjoy its less-crowded-at-that-time-of-year brew pubs.
=sParty
"just solid singletrack and a relaxing post-ride vibe"

perfect

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Roughly north to south, trail systems I've ridden and recommend:

Sandy Ridge Trail System. Mix of trails, predominantly flow oriented but there are some technical trails and cross-country trails also. Huge new jump line "Johnny Royale" just opened up.

Blackrock Mountain Bike Area (BRMBA). Freeride / jump / flow trails. Wooden and dirt features. Some of the wood is massive. One of the best trail systems in the state.

Alsea Falls. Flow trails. Jumps and berms and the like. Smoother than Sandy Ridge and not as big as the biggest hits at Sandy or Blackrock. Very fast. Newest line is Misery Whip, all the way at the top.

BendTrails will show you where to ride in Bend. High country should start opening up soon. Edison-Lava, Met-Win (Happy Valley), etc. Flagline won't be for about 6 more weeks. Lower stuff will be flatter and dustier. Shuttles with Cog Wild. I don't recommend Mt. Bachelor.

Oakridge is shorthand for "Middle Fork District of the Willamette National Forest" (even the manager has an IG handle "oakridgetrails" so if he's ok with it so am I) that covers a vast range from the Hardesty portal close-in all the way out to the headwaters of the Willamette River (Waldo for the north fork, Timpanogas for the middle). If you can figure out a self-shuttle two-car setup, the Hardesty portal is what you want (Lawler, Eula, Hardesty, Goodman/Eagles). Or get shuttles from Cog Wild (Oregon Adventures is still dead). Be aware that MBO is coming up and you probably don't want to overlap with that.

Ashland is rad but it's at the limit of your range. Get with Ashland Mountain Adventures if you wanna go; 3 shuttles a day.

Other places I hear about but haven't been: Spence Mountain (Klamath Falls), Post Canyon (Hood River), 44 Trails network (Mt Hood).

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Roughly north to south, trail systems I've ridden and recommend:

Sandy Ridge Trail System. Mix of trails, predominantly flow oriented but there are some technical trails and cross-country trails also. Huge new jump line "Johnny Royale" just opened up.

Blackrock Mountain Bike Area (BRMBA). Freeride / jump / flow trails. Wooden and dirt features. Some of the wood is massive. One of the best trail systems in the state.

Alsea Falls. Flow trails. Jumps and berms and the like. Smoother than Sandy Ridge and not as big as the biggest hits at Sandy or Blackrock. Very fast. Newest line is Misery Whip, all the way at the top.

BendTrails will show you where to ride in Bend. High country should start opening up soon. Edison-Lava, Met-Win (Happy Valley), etc. Flagline won't be for about 6 more weeks. Lower stuff will be flatter and dustier. Shuttles with Cog Wild. I don't recommend Mt. Bachelor.

Oakridge is shorthand for "Middle Fork District of the Willamette National Forest" (even the manager has an IG handle "oakridgetrails" so if he's ok with it so am I) that covers a vast range from the Hardesty portal close-in all the way out to the headwaters of the Willamette River (Waldo for the north fork, Timpanogas for the middle). If you can figure out a self-shuttle two-car setup, the Hardesty portal is what you want (Lawler, Eula, Hardesty, Goodman/Eagles). Or get shuttles from Cog Wild (Oregon Adventures is still dead). Be aware that MBO is coming up and you probably don't want to overlap with that.

Ashland is rad but it's at the limit of your range. Get with Ashland Mountain Adventures if you wanna go; 3 shuttles a day.

Other places I hear about but haven't been: Spence Mountain (Klamath Falls), Post Canyon (Hood River), 44 Trails network (Mt Hood).
FYI I'm eventually heading down to Tahoe and Grass Valley, so will be through south Oregon. We can probably work out shuttles, I'm set on Oakridge now. I will research those trails you suggest.

To add where you finished... We frequent Mt Hood area, 44 trails are epic, great views, huge descents, full daytrips if you want, or shuttle- remote. Highly suggest 44 trails.

Syncline if you are shuttling in Hood River, hands down would take that anyday over Post. Post is cool too and open to shuttles, more trees and good dirt, but Sync has some great black-rated trails.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
I'm set on Oakridge now.
Heckletooth, Little Bunchgrass, and Big Bunchgrass are all legit technical black diamond* trails. Eula is a black diamond also but more for being fast and steep. Of those, Big Bunchgrass is the only really massive logistical commitment. The others can be quickly self-shuttled. Eula bundles together quite nicely with the rest of the Hardesty portal. Heckletooth and Little Bunchgrass are essentially rideable together, and they can be bundled with Dead Mountain and Larison Rock.

* Nothing against all the other trails in the region, some of which are really fun. It's just that the OP specifically asked about black diamond rides.

·
Registered
18,549 Posts
44 Trails was really cool. It has a classic xc feel though, so I was wishing I had my lighter trail bike instead of my 33# enduro sled. Camping there was real fine too.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Heckletooth, Little Bunchgrass, and Big Bunchgrass are all legit technical black diamond* trails. Eula is a black diamond also but more for being fast and steep. Of those, Big Bunchgrass is the only really massive logistical commitment. The others can be quickly self-shuttled. Eula bundles together quite nicely with the rest of the Hardesty portal. Heckletooth and Little Bunchgrass are essentially rideable together, and they can be bundled with Dead Mountain and Larison Rock.

* Nothing against all the other trails in the region, some of which are really fun. It's just that the OP specifically asked about black diamond rides.
Thank you much, I will report back in a month or so :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.