Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
We get titles?
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wood Hardwood Wetland Nature reserve Forest

I was riding alone this morning. I hit a wet bridge and my tires slipped. As I was flying headfirst off the bridge into the water, the thought flashed through my head that this was going to suck.
The water was little more than a foot deep, but that's all it takes when you find yourself in it upside-down. I got a mouth full of swampy water and my every instinct told me to get myself right-side up, then out of the water. But my only thoughts were of my iphone, which was in my back jersey pocket.
I was soaked through, from head to toe, but somehow my jacket must have protected my phone, because it survived. It was 45 degrees Fahrenheit, however, so that was the end of my ride.

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle fork

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Dang, glad you got out of that situation in one piece, although it can't have been a fun ride back to the trailhead.

·
We get titles?
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Two lessons I already knew, but apparently needed a reminder. I forgot a ziplock this morning and wasn't about to turn back for one. And since I was riding alone, I wasn't about to leave the phone in the car either. Oh well, that worked out fine.
The wet bridge was unforgiving. I know better. But after hitting enough wet roots just right, I guess I let my guard down. WET BRIDGES ARE LIKE ICE.

And yes, the ride back to the car was pretty cold. There was a quicker route back that was mostly pavement, but that would have been colder. Not to mention boring. I'm looking forward to July!

·
We get titles?
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Haha, the bike's just fine. Me, on the other hand, well there's something going on in my back that I suspect will be worse in the morning.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.