Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Mtbr Founder
35,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, headed out for the holidays. Two families, just a couple bikes for me and Miggy. I don't much about North Lake except for Big Chief and Jackass trail.

I need info on lakes, hikes, restaurants, destinations. I need to know the secret stuff. :) PM me if needed.

I have good knowledge of the South Lake now with Bijou, Corral, Fallen Leaf, Richardson and Angora. But holidays so I don't think it will smart to drive around the lake with traffic.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Need to know where you're staying in order to provide good tips.

In Tahoe over the 4th weekend, you really don't want to drive around if you can help it.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Trailforks is your friend, not too much secret stuff in the area, and plenty of fun stuff on the map. You can access quite a bit on 89 between Alpine and Squaw, climbing Western States and going from there. Starting in TC or elsewhere on the North Shore give different options, but entirely possible to access everything in the TC/KB/Truckee triangle without driving (but ebikes aren't allowed on any of the trails in the area). PM if you want specifics.
If possible bring bikes for the whole family, it will likely be faster to get to Tahoe City on the bike path than by driving. Plenty of good restaurants to choose from in TC, but it will be a shitshow trying to get a table. Also, Grahams in Squaw.
There is a big blue lake just a few miles from you that's pretty popular. Also, Five Lakes hike is right there in Alpine, not sure if lakes are thawed yet. Shirley Canyon at Squaw is also good. You will have plenty of company on both. You'll have to drive to most other hikes, unless you want to hike on trails you'd rather be riding on. Float the river, get in the lake, it will be crowded, but you'll see hardly anyone while on your bike.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Sending PM.
Across the street from Alpine is a stiff climb up Western States to tons of good riding, right from where you are. There is also older-school fun XC surrounding the Scott Peak/Page meadow area behind Alpine. Mosquitos are rough in Page this time of year but it is still a cool spot. If you feel like driving to ride, plenty of stuff between Alpine and Truckee.

·
Registered
156 Posts
If possible bring bikes for the whole family, it will likely be faster to get to Tahoe City on the bike path than by driving.
This! It is a pleasant ~7 mi ride along the river into TC from Alpine Meadows. You won't need to worry about parking, and you'll likely beat car traffic depending on time of day -> Worth bringing a few extra cruisers if you can carry (or maybe just confirming whether the place you're staying at has some available).

Along the same lines, do as much shopping as you can before getting into the basin, and plan late night runs to do the rest/resupply. There are no quick milk/egg runs from Alpine Meadows on holiday weekends.

Mr. Svahn's tips for riding from an Alpine base are spot on, and all you need for a full/tiring long weekend. Can even ride to N* from Western States if you had to. If you're looking at other locations (requiring a drive), it is amazing how much being an early riser pays off on the long weekends in terms of trailhead space, temperatures, and crowds. Even the mosquitos seem to get out late (but man are they out in force in TD!).

Depending on the age of the kids, can look into Squaw Valley Via Ferrata or Granlibakken ropes courses. If those sound interesting look *now*, may already be too late for reservations.

Enjoy the family time, hope you have a great holiday.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Trails:

Jackass
Yogis
Big Chief
Tahoe XC and Mt Watson area: Western States, Ocelot, Fast Eddys, Jackpine
Rim Trail from 267 down through Dirks out to Carnelian Bay
Martis and all the unmentionable trails that are actually all on OSM maps but we still can't talk about them

Food:
Trokay
Drunken Monkey
Wolfdale's
Christy Hill
BridgeTender
West Shore Cafe

Get up early, have your fun, get your food and booze and retire for the afternoon while the craziness happens.

·
Wēk Sôs
3,210 Posts
Any recommendations near Mt. Rose highway?

Haven’t been able to get much riding as 75%. of the group don’t bike and it takes hours just to get people moving, and people wanting to go to beach of which I have no interest in wasting hours sitting there.

I would love to get some rides in without others involved.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.