Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Is my rear tire flat?
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks in advance everyone. My fiance and I will be staying with some family members for a few days. Looking to get 2 rides in and was wondering where to ride. Looking for something scenic and fun, bou't 10-15 miles and less than 2,000 feet of climbing.

We will have a car and will be able to drive a little if needed.

Thanks again,

Dennis

·
Afric Pepperbird
4,752 Posts
Around Milwaukie or Portland? Not much. I would suggest either Tillamook State Forest west of Portland, or the Mt. Hood area rides east of Portland. Each is 1 to 1.5 hour drive or so.

I myself prefer Mt. Hood area, specifically Surveyor's Ridge trail and Knebal Springs/8 Mile Loop.

·
Registered
211 Posts
dirt farmer said:
Around Milwaukie or Portland? Not much. I would suggest either Tillamook State Forest west of Portland, or the Mt. Hood area rides east of Portland. Each is 1 to 1.5 hour drive or so.

I myself prefer Mt. Hood area, specifically Surveyor's Ridge trail and Knebal Springs/8 Mile Loop.
Thats the best advice I can give as well. Portland gets great press all the time for being a great "biking" city. This refers strictly to people on road bikes though, mountain bikers are treated with thinly veiled disdain in Portland.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
rydog9991 said:
Molalla River Corridor 45 mins out of town. A little hard to find though. PM me if you need directions.
Rode Mollala for the first time this year, last Thursday and I was pretty disappointed from all the horse damaged trails especially on the southern end. Looks like a stampeed went through there when it was still pretty wet and mucky. The trail conditions would of been great if it wasn't from all the damage, especially on Bear in Woods Loop and the Rim Trail. The northern end trails are in pretty good shape though, but you would probably have just as good or better ride at Scappoose, only 30min from Portland tops, I rode there yesterday and despite all the "squitos" and all the man-made FR stuff and signs has been all torn out, the trails are in great shape as well.

My choice, if I were you, would be Tillamook NF trails, just park at Roger's Camp TH off of hwy 6 (left side at summit) about 35 miles west off downtown via hwy 26 and ride the Tillamook Historic Trail loop, takes about 1.5-2.0hrs with stop at University Falls of course and less than a 45min drive from Portland, about 1,200-1,500' climbing total. Make sure you are on hwy 26 before 3pm at the latest when heading out or back well before 3pm to avoid getting sucked up in traffic on hwy 26, especially on the way back to Portland. I rode Gales Creek/Storey Burn trails on Sat and trails are perfect in the Tillamook NF right now.

JG

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.