Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have swapped hardtail for s works stumper 06 and so far i am having to run 80mm travel forks with a a to c of 455mm.on the trail it feels very responsive and great up hills.however reading these forums it would seem to suggest i need more height on the front.any ideas.im a suspension virgin so be gentle ...

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
banner said:
however reading these forums it would seem to suggest i need more height on the front
:thumbsup:
Can you elaborate more on why you think you need more height in the front?

Talk to the manufacturer and determine exactly what fork travel the frame was designed around. Going longer may alter your geometry more than you want. Putting a fork that is shorter than what the frame was designed for may make it feel twitchier.

does the bike feel too twitchy? Does it get harder to handle when you are fatigued?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
two things really.the bb bottoms out quite alot and i have assumed that 80mm forks are shorter overall than say 130mm that folks are using on this frame.the spesh website gives a range of acceptable head angles -69 to 71 which i cant measure .i dont want more travel as im xc but just want to get the best out of the set up

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
banner said:
two things really.the bb bottoms out quite alot and i have assumed that 80mm forks are shorter overall than say 130mm that folks are using on this frame.the spesh website gives a range of acceptable head angles -69 to 71 which i cant measure .i dont want more travel as im xc but just want to get the best out of the set up
80mm sounds very short for that frame, and no surprise you have no pedal clearance, they bang pedals at the best of times. The complete Stumpy FSRs come with 120mm and 130mm forks, so you should start looking in that range. If you were to get a fork with travel adjustment, that allows you to dial in the travel that works and feels best for you.

Right now there are screaming deals on Minute 1 and 3 forks (greenfishsports for example) which are both adjustable travel and platform forks.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Most fork manufacturers will give you a ride height(except Fox, for some reason) on their website. Go to RS, Manitou and Marz and figure out what forks will come in the 460-470 range if you're interested. The SID, Reba, R7, Black, MX and Marathon forks come to mind. I know the Minute is 490+ depending on the travel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.