Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been riding/racing XC for about 4 years now and after all hard rides and races i get really bad head achs. I drink tons of water before during and after the races. I usually eat correctly the week before the races also. Does anyone else have this problem and does anyone know how to cure this problem. For instance yesterday i drank over a gallon of water in the morning while at work. I then did a 35 mile road ride on my XC bike during the ride i drank 70 oz of water. when i got home drank another 100 oz of water throughout the night. anyone have any ideas???

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
need to eat food after ride

chirider990 said:
I have been riding/racing XC for about 4 years now and after all hard rides and races i get really bad head achs. I drink tons of water before during and after the races. I usually eat correctly the week before the races also. Does anyone else have this problem and does anyone know how to cure this problem. For instance yesterday i drank over a gallon of water in the morning while at work. I then did a 35 mile road ride on my XC bike during the ride i drank 70 oz of water. when i got home drank another 100 oz of water throughout the night. anyone have any ideas???
Don't drink too much water. You can dilute the blood thus preventing your blood from getting enough oxygen. I got head ache too. It is due to part fatigue and low sugar level in blood. Once I got home and eat a big meal, my head ache disappear. You have to eat food after the ride immediately.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Lone Wolf said:
Maybe the stress and everything triggers a migrane. Every once and a while that happens to me, I usualy take a Advil and its gone in a hour or so.
i never thought of it like that. as a senior in a Mechanical Engineering program i think that stress might be a big factor.

·
climb
2,293 Posts
You might actually be over hydrated (hyponatrermia) and this can cause your electrolytes to be out-of-whack. Maybe take some magnesium, potassium, and sodium supplement before and during you're ride, and see if your headaches subside.

·
Beyond the stars
745 Posts
could be a blood pressure thing?

you might start checking your blood pressure, does your head feel really HOT, like maybe you have a mild fevor after your long rides?

Go with the "too much water" thing, and the "low blood sugar" thing but also consider blood pressure issues.

FYI, Advil or Ibuprofen-based products are for muscle aches and pain, Asprin and Acetaminophen-based products are for headaches . . . .

. . . but I often wonder, "how does it know where to go?"

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
chirider990 said:
Dehydration for me. It sounds like you're getting plenty, but it's all relative to how hard you're working, ambient temps, and clothing (like those fools in the weight room wearing nylon wind suits).

·
Registered
108 Posts
or have you had any neck problems, shoulder tension etc. an old shoulder or neck injury perhaps. I got the same for about 6 months and mine was down to stress causing loads of neck and shoulder tension - working at a pc is a killer for me too. Basically I was training my muscles to work the wrong way and consequently got over-built traps and very weak lower shoulder muscles. this in turn was causing the tension up through the neck and into the base of the skull giving me ongoing headaches. i'm now having physio to work on the muscle imbalances and deep tissue massage is a staple.
do the headaches last long after the rides?

·
Registered
313 Posts
I think if you pushed hard and long, it is common to have headaches later that day. I think Friel mentions it somewhere.

I get a headache sometimes. I don't think it has anything to do with hydration....just that you have really pushed hard!

·
L1MEY
1,487 Posts
Do you have sinus problems? I get sinus headaches and inflammation/infections fairly often due to allergies. After I've been riding for a while, sometimes I get a pressure headache (it's not always in the sinus areas either... often it just feels like a regular headache). If I readjust my helmet a little so it's not pressing on a sinus point, the pain usually goes away, but sometimes it continues. Maybe you could try some form of decongestant or nasal spray to see if that helps...

- Jen.

·
Registered
629 Posts
All good insight - also sodium

chirider990 said:
For me, if I do not get enough sodium, from drinking strgith water, I can get headaches. We sweat out lots of stuff other than water, and must ensure we replace that stuff also. Try some ports drinks after/during the ride. Drink V8 before/during or after a ride - it helps me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.