Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup. It's now on the "Past Models" page on the Ibis website. :cry:

I'm guessing it was a poor seller for the brand but I still absolutely love this bike every time I get on it.

Does Ibis have something up their sleeve? Cause they only essentially have 4 full sus models now: Exie, Ripley, Ripmo, and the likely also-not-selling-well Mojo. The Mojo is the only non-29er.

Please tell me there's something in the works?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Well that's a bummer. Since I crashed replaced my Mojo 4 with the HD5 I've been in love with mine. I was looking forward to a new colorway though. Any chance it'll be an HD6 and not mixed wheels? I can't imagine a launch video atm though where they try to hype a long travel 27.5 :(

·
Registered
441 Posts
Dang. That didn’t last long.

By all accounts the HD5 was top notch. I personally ride a Ripmo but most because I like the bigger wheels being a bigger guy.

I rode a mullet e bike on Sunday and honestly couldn’t tell the difference in the rear. So maybe there is something to the mixed wheel bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
658 Posts
It's not all that shocking - it was basically an iteration of the HD4. Same suspension, just slightly tweaked geometry. Still running a 200x55 shock. So even though it wasn't that new of a bike, the design definitely had a few years on it. Hopefully they keep the long travel 27.5 around as the HD5 I demo'd is what prompted me to get my Elkat.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Yeah, my guess is that it will be replaced by a mixed wheel size bike. They may even change names to give it a fresh start. I thought they would have done this earlier, or at least had kits to convert the HD5. All that said, I loved the HD5 when I demo'd it and always thought I'd add one to the stable, but for me (and probably a lot of folks), it wasn't the best bike for most of my trail riding (adore my Ripley for that).

·
Registered
585 Posts
Needs 29 wheels. Stop messing around and just do it. Firebird style HD, is what they need.
I pretty much agree with this. The Ripmo—obviously the Ibis enduro team races it, and Bex won on it this past weekend—but it’s a trail bike at heart. I don’t say that as a slight, just an honest assessment of where it slots in. To me, the obvious hole in Ibis’ lineup is at that big wheel long travel race bike, and I think the HD5 going away pretty much reveals their intentions for the long travel segment. I see their next release being a 160 to 170 mm rear travel 29er.

The Ripmo slots in as a competitor to the Hightower, the Offering, the Switchblade, the Sentinel, the Sight, the Troy. It would make sense for them to put something into the mix to run with the Megatower, the Wreckoning, the Firebird, the Spire, the Range, the Spartan.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I've had my HD5 for 9 months and it's the best bike I've owned for Texas/Arkansas enduros, which really don't need a monster truck bike. I'm 5'8" with short legs, so I'm hoping that when the time comes, there's still an Ibis with a 27.5" rear wheel.

·
Registered
441 Posts
A Ripmo HD would be killer. Basically a response to the Big S Enduro and SC Megatower.

If they can do it with most of the pedal-abilty of the Ripmo I’d certainly seriously consider trading the Ripmo for one.

I would just hope for less leverage ratio though as a bigger rider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
222 Posts
They can make it flip chip mullet compatible. If they feel a need for that. Like the HDR was a 140 or 160.
The HDR was 130 (27.5) and 160 (26). Santa Cruz made the new Bronson a mullet bike but cannot be changed. If Ibis can make the flip chip work with the geometry/kinematics then perhaps that the route they will go. I talked to a dude on a new Bronson this summer and he raved about the way it rode. The question becomes, what bike would sell better...a HD mullet or long travel 29 HD. I also wouldn't rule out an e-mtb either.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Sold my HD4 and passed on the Ripmo and went to a Pivot Firebird. After owning three previous Ibis the Pivot feels familiar. But has the big bruiser bike I was looking for in a snappy pedal friendly package. I'm sure Ibis would sell a boat load if they made one.
I feel like an Ibis sled has to be next after the Exie

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
It's not all that shocking - it was basically an iteration of the HD4. Same suspension, just slightly tweaked geometry. Still running a 200x55 shock. So even though it wasn't that new of a bike, the design definitely had a few years on it. Hopefully they keep the long travel 27.5 around as the HD5 I demo'd is what prompted me to get my Elkat.
My HD3 will probably happily last another 5 years but the Elkat looks very nice. I kind of missed it or forgot. "New" bike ... nah ... log-travel-29/new-geometry/progressive-this-and-that/mullet ... just give me a 650b to pedal up the mountain!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Had a feeling this was going to be the case. Saw too many HD5s listed for sale on Pinkbike and other places.

I personally don't get it. I rode my HD5 again yesterday and love it! It's so much better than the Ripmo I also own. I own a Mojo 4 too, and the Ripmo is my least favorite bike. And when I compare my ride times between the HD and Rip on same trail, the speeds are practically the same. Actually, I beat my best time by 10 minutes yesterday on my HD5.

Personally, any 29er with any more suspension than the Ripmo is just boring to me.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I’m on a new Firebird. I can tell you it’s far from boring. People forget that it’s only another cm or 2. Percentage wise, it’s not a lot more suspension.
To each their own. Takes all kinds to make the world go round.

I just don't ride anything that warrants that much travel. The HD5 and Ripmo is more than I need for 75% of my riding, and is all I need for that other 25%.

That being said, I'd still ride a 26" bike if they made them.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.