Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 6'3 1/2" tall, but have a 37.5" cycling inseam. I think I will need a 60-70mm stem and 30+ mm of spacers under the stem with at least 20mm rise bars and maybe even 35mm rise bars. This seems like a sub-optimal set-up for an HD3, but despite looking at many other bikes I always seem to come back to the HD3. Anyone my size riding one of these with some real world feedback? Any photos of HD3 set-ups for someone my size? I wish people posted height and inseam on the build threads. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I'm just a shade under 6'3", 36" cycling inseam so a bit less leg and a bit more torso than you. I'm on an XL HD3, currently running a 70mm stem and 20mm riser bars. I think the bike as great and love the fit. I think you'd fit on one fine, though the bike might feel a bit on the short side for you.

The actual seat angle is fairly steep on the HD3 (by which I mean the angle of the seat tube itself, not the "effective" angle measured to an imaginary point.) This is important for taller guys, as it means that even a very high saddle height won't put the saddle too far back. I had a Mach 6 before the HD3 and it suffered from this.

·
_____
381 Posts
I'm 6'4.5 and got to demo an XLhd3 with a 70mm stem and 740 mm bars on my rocky local trails. It felt noticeably better than the XL HD I've been riding for the last five years. However, 740mm are a joke on an XL bike and left me undecided about the fit.

The way I see it we are between sizes, XL and non existent XXL. So my question is what type of riding and terrain works best for a smaller bike? When is it better to go smaller when given the choice?

I want to demo an XL intense t275. I forget the exact number but the reach is like an inch more than the hd3.

My inseam is 36".

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
If you like the overall numbers & feel of the HD3, I'd suggest the Intense T275. Their XL is pretty huge, and everybody seems to love the bike...

·
_____
381 Posts
If you like the overall numbers & feel of the HD3, I'd suggest the Intense T275. Their XL is pretty huge, and everybody seems to love the bike...
The only problem is finding one to demo. I called their demo center in Sedona, AZ and they said they didn't have any XL T275Cs in their fleet. I won't by a 7K+ bike before riding it. Seems like a strange business model.

·
Rocks belong
5,274 Posts
The T275c is about the only bike I can come up with that I'd consider buying instead of the HD3 right now.

Reading up on it, it seems Intense's version of VPP is definitely aimed at the descent and doesn't climb as well as Santa Cruz's version. Most of the reviews say that it'll claw it's way up a super technical climb (like a good FSR bike will), but it's not what they'd call a 'pedaler'. And I've also read that the T275c rear end isn't as stiff as the mainframe (or the rear end of a Bronson, et. al).

Oh, and the T275c has a PF92 BB. Every bike in the fleet has a BSA bottom bracket and I intend to keep it that way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts