Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I were to upgrade from my 2012 Mojo HD to a Ripmo, what would I experience?

Background - I've been completely away from mountain biking for the past 3-4 years or so, after a period of riding quite a lot (focusing on climbing instead). But it looks like I'll move to Colorado in the mid-term, with a little more time and access to rowdier trails and also to Moab, so, I have starting thinking about adding mountain biking back into the mix again.

My HD is in bad shape after some unfortunate neglect and parts failures, would require $500 worth of service and parts to get it running again. I loved that bike and rode it a lot. But I gather things have changed - maybe wheels are different sizes, tires too, geometry, drivetrains? What would a Ripmo let me do that my HD doesn't? Comments on how dramatic or subtle the changes would be would be very welcome, and of course what I would notice on the ups and downs.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Big changes over the past 4-5 years. I replaced my 2014 HDR (650b) with an HD4 this year. The HD4 blows it away in almost every category. My HDR climbed excellent and I was concerned about the HD4 in this area but my concerns were completely unfounded. The HD4 pedals extremely well too and no comparison with the descending. The HDR was certainly more nimble. I test rode the Ripmo but it didn't feel as good as the HD4. I felt more "on" the bike and not "in" it. I am a small guy (67") and am sure that contributes to this feeling. IMO, the small frame on the large wheels is more difficult to handle for smaller riders in technical terrain. For XC riding though, the 29" wheel is a no brainer. The Ripmo is an excellent bike. I would definitely consider the HD4.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am not sure what exactly you are looking for, but I made a switch fro HD to Ripmo last year and so far it was all very positive. Just by switching you are better/faster both uphill and downhill “out of the gate” (placebo?). But then, by learning and adjusting yourself to a new geometry, it gets even better. Just switch!

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
5 hundo is cheap compared to a new bike, and if you've been off the bike for years, spruce up the HD and see if you stick with it before dropping 5+ geez on a new sled; my .02

I owned an HD. Loved it. Just bought a Ripmo. Love it. Had an HD3(about to sell it, actually) and a Ripley LS in there too.

Everything about the 'mo is objectively better than the HD. But that doesn't make the HD garbage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.