Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hayes says:
3. My brake is dragging. What should I do?
Push the caliper pistons back in their bores and center the caliper over the disc.

I did this and then after shimming the adapter it is running pretty drag free now, but is there any other tips I can get for optimizing them running drag free and keeping them that way?

·
Meh.
17,470 Posts
Hayes is post mount. You don't need to shim unless it's really far out. If you loosen the bolts that fasten the caliper to the adapter, the caliper has some side to side float to it. Squeeze the lever, and it's pretty much centered. Sometimes you need to use the "business card trick" to compensate for a dominant piston.

Not much to do.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i did lossen the caliper bolts and squeeze the lever but it didn't work. this was after i used a a piece of plastic to push the pads back as far outboard as I could get them

·
Meh.
17,470 Posts
mtnbkrdr98 said:
i did lossen the caliper bolts and squeeze the lever but it didn't work. this was after i used a a piece of plastic to push the pads back as far outboard as I could get them
As I said, sometimes you have a dominant piston. And sometimes the pistons are dirty and they stick, which could make one piston even more dominant.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.