Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for new brakes for my Reign. I was about to order make the plunge and buy a pair of Hayes Stroker on Ebay from a seller in Taiwan for 250.00 and 25.00 shipping. My LBS guy told me he can get me a deal on new XT's minus rotors installed for a just under 400.00. Any thoughts. I also found the Strokers here state side for about 350.00. So I'll more than likely drop the extra cash to get a warranty and somewhere to go if things go bad.

·
I AM I AM
2,222 Posts
CRC (Chain Reaction Cycles) used to have Shimano XT's ('07 model) for $350Au, both sets including rotors etc.
I'd check out CRC first anyway, $400 would be reasonable if you didn't have to pay for rotors (or if you plan to upgrade from the 6" rotors anyway).
I've also heard of a few reputable ebay sellers from O/S selling XT's for that sort of price but that was quite some time ago.

With your LBS I guess you're probably looking at OEM swap outs? Not that it makes too much difference.

I've only ever had a feel of Strokers on a bike in a LBS, and I was impressed. But I really like the ease of maintenance that my XT's offer!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I was searching on this yesterday, if you search "XT, Stroker" there are about two or three other threads with the same question, some really good comments. Sounds like the strokers are the way to go personally. I have a good friend who works in a really high traffic'd bike shop and he stands by the Strokers more than any other brake. It is my route personally if I were to choose Hydraulic (though that is a good deal on the XT's)...

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
There are so many great products on the market to pick from it will make ya dizzyy. As dieselcruiserhead pointed out there are allot of post asking the same question. It comes down to each persons opinion as to which is better, they both have completely different feel, personally I like the feel of Hayes brakes and have always gone back to them when trying out another brand or riding another bike with a different brand. Plus Hayes is very easy to get ahold of for any questions [email protected] and the customer service is awesome. :drumroll:

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
i personally tried both of them and perferred the XT on my bike on the stroker on my friends bike. I find the XT to have a batter feel and also more power along with modulation. I personally think for under 400 the XT are the way to go.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Definitely the Stroker's, I've had both this year and the XT's were pretty good on the one occasion I had them working but they never worked, I've now got 2 sets of Stroker's and wouldn't swap them for anything.:thumbsup:

·
Arnborg strik
658 Posts
I have bought from

fiveo said:
I'm leaning toward the Stroker. Has anyone bought from MR on Ebay?
him about 10-12 times.He is a great seller,no problems what so ever :thumbsup:
I normally get the parts in about 6-7 days (and i live in Denmark)
That's fast shipping :cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.