Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
looking for a mid line disk brake for a new X.C. build....are the strokers worth stroking...
My second pick looks to be magura carbon bats...feedback please
thx....:thumbsup:

·
You know, for kids
1,570 Posts
I've been happy with my Stroker Trails. They have provided nice power and modulation for me. I've also ridden 6 year old XTR discs, Avid Juicy5, and BB7s, and the Strokers feel the best to me. I just installed a set of Shimano SLX discs on one of my rigs but have not gotten any trail time in with them yet. They're nice, but I think I should have went with the XT for the extra adjustment.

·
Banned
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
madcap said:
I've been happy with my Stroker Trails. They have provided nice power and modulation for me. I've also ridden 6 year old XTR discs, Avid Juicy5, and BB7s, and the Strokers feel the best to me. I just installed a set of Shimano SLX discs on one of my rigs but have not gotten any trail time in with them yet. They're nice, but I think I should have went with the XT for the extra adjustment.
keep me update with a stroker/slx A/B/ ....looks to be a very nice price point brake
Mono mini seem to be a pretty nice brake also

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
I have been riding the Stroker carbons for a while now - they are awesome. I rode 8" rotors all summer and thought I'd switch to 6" for winter. They are a little weak when they get muddy with the 6 but if you ride in a dry climate, on a 9'er I'd think 7" would be good. I have XTR's on another bike and in comparison, the XTR's are pretty weak with the 203mm rotors (about 8")

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
I am testing a bike with the Stroker Trails on it. Nice brakes. Quiet, even when wet. (For me) Great power. Not so great modulation. Almost "on/off" in that the "window of modulation" in terms of lever throw is small. I do not care for that, but some folks may.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
I am testing a bike with the Stroker Trails on it. Nice brakes. Quiet, even when wet. (For me) Great power. Not so great modulation. Almost "on/off" in that the "window of modulation" in terms of lever throw is small. I do not care for that, but some folks may.
Wow, I'd have to disagree with you completely on the on/off comment. They modulate very well, IMO - even with 8" rotors. Maybe you can re-bleed or sand the pads (contaminated or not OEM?).

·
Working Man's Toilet
834 Posts
I like the look- modulation is OK, I am a big dud #-230 and ran 8" rotors- they had about 85% of the power of my Juicy 7 with an 8" rotor. Have swithced back to the Avids.

·
Banned
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guitar Ted said:
G.T. whats your thoughts on mono minis,or magura loise bat disc brakes

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
gticlay said:
Wow, I'd have to disagree with you completely on the on/off comment. They modulate very well, IMO - even with 8" rotors. Maybe you can re-bleed or sand the pads (contaminated or not OEM?).
Pads are fine, not contaminated. Lever holds under prssure, doesn't fade. I really don't think a bleed is necessary.

As I stated in my first post, some my think the amount of modulation that is there is okay. (Note: I didn't say there wasn't any modulation, just not a lot)

Some folks like "modulation"

Me? I like m o d u l a t i o n. It keeps me outta trouble and is easier to negotiate in gnarly situations. It's how I set up my mech disc brakes, which feel bottomless when I pull the lever.

Again: What I like and what you like are certainly two different things. That's cool. I think the hayes Stroker Trail has a small window of modulation before complete lock up. YMMV.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
29ERCAT said:
G.T. whats your thoughts on mono minis,or magura loise bat disc brakes
The Hope Minis I rode were on a bike back a few years ago. I recall that they were great brakes, much like the Stroker Trails in feel. Maybe those Hopes have been updated since I rode them, so this may not be a valid comment. I do not keep up with Hope brake products too well.

I have ridden a couple differentsets of Magura Louise brakes and have been thoroughly impressed each time. Great brakes, quiet, good amount of modulation, and powerful enough to stop me on mountains or Mid-Western single track. I would seriously consider them if I weren't so into Avid mech disc as I am.

Actually, there is going to be some changes there with the Avid mech discs that I am very excited about. Depending on how that pans out for SRAM, I may or may not pursue hydros after that point.

·
Gold Member
Wrecker V2 / Nimble9
1,197 Posts
Definitely check out XT's, almost the best bet when you are talking stopping, modulation, and $. IMO, even the no designation Shimano stuff is good from the little that I've used of them.
I have some Stroker Rydes and they are fine. Nothing to jab about, but nothing to dis.
Although not as nice as my HFX Mag 9's, I'm still sad they dropped'm.

·
SSolo, on your left!
2,577 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
.........I have ridden a couple differentsets of Magura Louise brakes and have been thoroughly impressed each time. Great brakes, quiet, good amount of modulation, and powerful enough to stop me on mountains or Mid-Western single track. I would seriously consider them if I weren't so into Avid mech disc as I am.

Actually, there is going to be some changes there with the Avid mech discs that I am very excited about. Depending on how that pans out for SRAM, I may or may not pursue hydros after that point.
Avid Ultimate 7 on a 2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 29 felt amazing in a parking lot test ride, very light finger pressure, great modulation and lots of adjustment.

Thinkin about upgrading my BB5s....they were great on my 26", but after a very techy, steep, rocky night ride, my fingers and fore-arms are much more fatigued than they would have been on my 26" running same brake setup (w/160mm G2 Cleansweep rotors).....any recomendations here? New to 29 and learning.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Natedogz said:
Avid Ultimate 7 on a 2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 29 felt amazing in a parking lot test ride, very light finger pressure, great modulation and lots of adjustment.

Thinkin about upgrading my BB5s....they were great on my 26", but after a very techy, steep, rocky night ride, my fingers and fore-arms are much more fatigued than they would have been on my 26" running same brake setup (w/160mm G2 Cleansweep rotors).....any recomendations here? New to 29 and learning.
Well, given your terrain description, a set of hydro brakes may be in order here. You'll experience far less physical fatigue and power should be much better.

You could upgrade to BB-7's, but the current BB-7 brakes have been down spec'ed in anticipation of the new mech brake from Avid, which will be replacing the BB-7.

By the time you spent what it would take to make a mech brake work well, (and getting your BB-5's to work anywhere near hydro quality isn't feasible), you'd be better off getting a new set of hydro brakes. Lots of the Avid stuff is on sale right now too. Juicy 3's and 5's I have seen good deals on. They would be a big step up from BB-5's for sure.

Of course, if you are willing to spend some $$, you can get even better stuff out there. Even the Stroker Trails would be far better. Don't let this conversation fool you. Stroker Trails are great brakes, we're just nit picking. ;) :p

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
I would have to echo Guitar Ted's comments here. We had a Voodoo Canzo in for testing for the Ridemonkey.com 29er forum and said bike was spec'd with the Hayes Stroker Trails. I got the sam "on or off" feeling with them as well. They were plenty powerful when on, but there wasn't much of a middle ground (modulation) with them in my opinion. They sure stopped ya good though if you needed to stop fast! ;)

Cheers,

Mark

·
Banned
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
F5000sl said:
Definitely check out XT's, almost the best bet when you are talking stopping, modulation, and $. IMO, even the no designation Shimano stuff is good from the little that I've used of them.
I have some Stroker Rydes and they are fine. Nothing to jab about, but nothing to dis.
Although not as nice as my HFX Mag 9's, I'm still sad they dropped'm.
Replacement parts alone may have me thinking shimano xt,wholesale on the lines are one third of hopes and formula.I picked up a set of used louise carbon bat on the bay the other day so I'll start with them.I cant say one bad word about my bb7,just looking to try something new.
I really want to pick a brand and stick with them so I dont have to purchase multi- spare parts.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
The posters saying the Stroker Trail’s have a “on or off” feel should try the Stroker Ryde’s and report back. The modulation is very good on the Trail’s, you just need to know how to use it…

Definitely the best brakes I’ve ever had, better than anything Avid and Shimano are currently selling in the hydraulic market at any rate.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
For what it's worth here's my take on the Stroker Trails. I've been using them in a XC/light AM mode and they preform just fine. I weigh in at 210lbs and I'm running a 180mm rotor fr and a 160mm rr, with this setup I've never run out of stopping power. Although the modulation window on these brakes may be narrower than some other brands, it's nothing that a few rides of getting used to them won't overcome.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Bingo!

reydin said:
.... Although the modulation window on these brakes may be narrower than some other brands, it's nothing that a few rides of getting used to them won't overcome.
And as I have said, (for what....the third time now? :rolleyes: ) Some folks may think it just fine that they are like this. I didn't say that they were not powerful, or otherwise awful.

I think that if you are a fan of great modulation, you can do far better than the Stroker Trail brakes. That is what I am saying.

I hope I have made myself clear. :D

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
And as I have said, (for what....the third time now? :rolleyes: ) Some folks may think it just fine that they are like this. I didn't say that they were not powerful, or otherwise awful.

I think that if you are a fan of great modulation, you can do far better than the Stroker Trail brakes. That is what I am saying.

I hope I have made myself clear. :D
You made yourself completely clear and I respect your opinion. There is a lot of things that can affect the 'modulation window'

If you are a lightweight and I'm a heavyweight, I'll have a bigger MW with the same exact brake/disk diameter/pad setup. If you have a hardtail with crappy tires and I have an active full suspension with really grippy tires, I'll have a bigger MW. Like you said, it's all got to do with personal preference, personal feel, and how sensitive and connected to your bike you are. We might even be riding the same bike, at the same weight and you'll feel like the MW is different than I do.

·
SSolo, on your left!
2,577 Posts
GuitarTed, Thanks I'm lookin to upgrade for my 29er after that ride :D but not sure I want hydro hassle and possible broken hose.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts