Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had the hardest time finding an adapter that fits my 2009 Reba 29er. The brake is a v8/203mm hayes striker trail. The literature says a regular 203mm adapter would work. Unfortunately, the two posts on the Reba are different sizes. It looks like every adapter the literature calls for have two posts that are the same size. I have rigged it with a hope adapter but the brake is not flush. The forward flange is rubbing on the rotor (ie. the forward bolt is too close to the rotor, the back bolt is too far). It is crooked. Anybody know what adapter will work? What is going on??????

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
You are not going to get a lot of help by making snotty remarks to people going out of their way to try help a stranger...for free.

Like the other poster said, a few quick pics would help a bunch, as you have most likely simply installed something incorrectly.

Terms like 'the forward flange' dont really mean anything, and I have no idea what you are refering to by saying that "..the posts...are different sizes". Width? length? Thicknes? Bore diameter? Bore depth? etc, etc.

The fork posts SHOULD be different length BTW. You can view blueprints of forks at the SRAM site that include typical engineering drawing specs...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is what every site says is the adapter that should fit. There is no way that it will work (I have one in hand, and it is waaaaaay too short. It looks like I have to stack 2 on top of each other)

Again, I ask what adapter do I need? The silver adapter you see in the pic is a Hope one we tried out, but like I said, the rotor is rubbing, so it is a no go. Anyone know the part number of the adapter I need? Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, bro, but that is the problem. The adapter you suggest is the one that should fit, but it doesn't. It needs to be asymmetrical, like the one I already have. Tried one like that, but wasn't even close.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
That is indeed a 183mm hope adapter that you have installed up side down.

The hayes part you want will be stamped with (smart number) 21 on the adapter. If you have that part already, you most likely tried to instal it up side down as well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I love bike shops. They put this bad boy on for me. I'll let them know what you think of their work davep (probably the same opinion that I have of their work).

How about some help? I beg anyone, what is a part number for the piece that works? The one pictured above (with a link to pricepoint) is 10mm off any way you put it on. Like I said, it looks like it needs to have 2 stacked on top of each other. Does anyone know which part number will work for this set up? 2009 Reba 29er and Stroker Trail V8/203mm. Thanks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Notice how this fork has posts that appear symmetrical (pic I posted). I am sure the above adapter would work great with the fork in this picture. My fork has posts that are drastically different in size from each other. When I put the adapter (link above), it isn't even remotely close. Shouldn't all 74mm post mounts be the same?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Your adapter would not work with that fork at all..

That is a Totem and it has a non-standard post type mount. That fork takes a 203mm rotor with no adapter at all. Completely different mount from your fork.

I am 99% sure that you have/had the correct Hayes adapter simply mounted upside down (as the very first reply to your post mentioned).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Freaking never mind. If the only person on here on a Saturday night is davep, and he keeps ignoring my info (I tried the adapter both ways. The post farthest from the tire (the short one) is off so far that it looks like I need 2 adapters!!!!!!! It is at least 10mm too short!), then I'm going to get a brew and forget about this crap. Thanks all for the advice. If you guys can't sort it out (and 2 different bike shops), I don't feel bad at all. Something stinks with this one.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts