Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any opinions on which is better? I like the adjustability on the Hayes and the radial mount. I have heard that Avid are a pain to bleed. I have not tried either so opinions and issues with either are much appreciated.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
stroker trails have the same adjustability as juicy 5's, 7's have adjustable pad contact point. The trails don't need adjustable contact like the juicies do because the J5's have a ton of free stroke before they contact, where the trails are set at a more 'natural' free stroke. Juicies are easier to bleed, but trails don't need a kit really. They're pretty close in power, and they feel different, i like the juicy feel more, but maybe that's because i'm used to them. Juicies seem to vibrate when you have slop in your suspension pivots or hubs, trails are out in crash damage's way, but at least they break at the mount. In the end they're pretty much the same, i've been happy with my juicies, they've been flawless.

I would look at other stuff too, for a couple more bucks you can get into a formula/shimano set up that feels better and works better.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
scottzg said:
I would look at other stuff too, for a couple more bucks you can get into a formula/shimano set up that feels better and works better.
Could you give me some model specific info for the shimano/formula? I'm new to all this, but I have a PT job at SportChalet, so I'm able to order most items at wholesale, I'm just unsure of what is good/bad in general. I'm a 1 finger braker so I like a lever that is close to the bar, but I also like a brake system that has a very linear feel to it. Any advice would be much appreciated.

·
not really an mtbr member
640 Posts
you'd probably like the formulas then. check out the k18/k24. the only difference is that the k24 has the FPS (basically the bite point adjustment.) they're great brakes, i like them a lot more than my old J5s.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I like both, so I have both!

My J7s have a bit more power and easier to get power on quickly. Free Stroke has been "bit" much, probably need a solid bleed. I like the lever on the Juicy better.

Stroker's modulate better. I can feel them ramp up in power much more so than the juicys. Power is there, not as easy to get as the juicys though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.