Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

So I've been riding a pair of Hayes Ryde hydraulic 160mm for the past 3 months or so and I've noticed that the braking power has faded quite a bit, even after having them bled and had the pads changed. Also, the power is on and off, one minute I'll be riding and their decently strong, next minute they have half the power...and that's not even under a lot of heat or anything. I've also noticed one of the front pistons moves half as much as the other one, not sure about the rear ones.

Is this just because their terrible brakes or is there some way I can fix it? let me know, can't ride confidently at the moment!

·
slap happy
417 Posts
strange. despite all the terrible reviews, my Ryde's have been top notch, no issues at all.
i'd have to imagine your problem lies within those pistons sticking. maybe try and service the calipers, clean and lube those pistons.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's true I will definitely try that, know of any good links that give a step-by-step? just so i don't ruin the brakes for good.

·
slap happy
417 Posts
unfortunately i don't. i'd just google it, and check youtube for vids. there's vids on how to bleed them, replace hoses etc.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
actually just went and oiled the pistons with dot 4 brake fluid and cleaned the entire system with vodka, front brake is working like new! thanks for the help

·
slap happy
417 Posts
dood you're supposed to drink the vodka!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts