Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
sorry to ask again, since i got no response. Would you guys buy these brakes?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
lol, whazz up dog?? man, i am 80% decided to get these brakes, but then, I read about other boutique brakes and makes me back up. However, I can´t justify spending more than $400 on brakes like formula, hope or magura. Perhaps, the grams might be my best solution. If I get the grams (much cheaper alternative), i could bring the brakeset down from 360 to around 330 or 340 grams with the alligator rotors, and then, I would be more than happy.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I hated the strokers at first, but now really like the feel of them. Though I do think they are ugly, and I would have preferred a thicker lever blade..

Plus it was tricky to set them up to get the power I wanted from the front.. seemed to take forever to do that.. and still, well.. I dunno..

·
You know my steez...
903 Posts
I have them

They are light (duh)
They modulate very well
They are quiet (so far)
They work better with Alligator rotors than the Hayes V6 rotors they came with
They look good (my opinion)
The levers feel good in my hand

Attachments

·
I H8 cigarettes...
37 Posts
I have Grams on my Jabber and love 'em... Everything BunnV said but I'm running stock rotors.

I like the fact that they are made (or at least sold) by a company that is in the same country that I live in... Which means I can call them on the phone if I did have troubles.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts

·
Blind biker
301 Posts
9speed said:
I hated the strokers at first, but now really like the feel of them. Though I do think they are ugly, and I would have preferred a thicker lever blade..

Plus it was tricky to set them up to get the power I wanted from the front.. seemed to take forever to do that.. and still, well.. I dunno..
Im having the same problem how did you fix it?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hey Guys,
I just purchased a set of Gram's from Price Point and they didn't come with Ti mounting or rotor bolts....just steel ones. They were packaged like OEM's but nothing was said on their site about that. Did you guys that purchased them get Ti hardware other than what comes on the caliper or lever clamp?

Also I weighed the rear complete except the adapter and they came in at 401 gms...not the 355 as claimed :rolleyes:

Thx :thumbsup:

·
You know my steez...
903 Posts
crackednipples said:
Hey Guys,
I just purchased a set of Gram's from Price Point and they didn't come with Ti mounting or rotor bolts....just steel ones. They were packaged like OEM's but nothing was said on their site about that. Did you guys that purchased them get Ti hardware other than what comes on the caliper or lever clamp?

Also I weighed the rear complete except the adapter and they came in at 401 gms...not the 355 as claimed :rolleyes:

Mine came with Ti rotor bolts. I didn't know it until I bought some Ti bolts on line and they weighed EXACTLY the same as the bolts that came with the Grams :madman:

I'm not sure which parts you included in that 401 gram weight but that is really high for what I THINK you weighed (the caliper, hose, lever and master cylinder). Check this link out.

http://bikescale.com/index.php?d=artykul&kat=42&mar=118

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
crackednipples said:
Hey Guys,

Ask the place you purchased the brakes from about the hardware. :cool:

http://www.pricepoint.com/helpDesk/helpDesk.htm

·
Registered
170 Posts
I weighed rear factory length caliper, master & hose. Rotor, steel rotor bolts and mounting bolts but no adapter. 401.
The brake alone is 251. So if it had all Ti hardware it would be around 383 rear and 374 front.

·
Registered
170 Posts
dogonfr said:
Ask the place you purchased the brakes from about the hardware. :cool:

http://www.pricepoint.com/helpDesk/helpDesk.htm
I did already and here is their reply:
The bridge bolts on the brakes are titanium. You can get titanium hardware for the rotors but that's an upgrade sold separately. Because they are at that price they don't come with the full bleed kit and the rotor tool. I do apologize for the confusion.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
crackednipples said:
I did already and here is their reply:
The bridge bolts on the brakes are titanium. You can get titanium hardware for the rotors but that's an upgrade sold separately. Because they are at that price they don't come with the full bleed kit and the rotor tool. I do apologize for the confusion.
Send a reply thet the hardware is not Ti and you would like to send the hardware to them for inspection. Hayes doesnt say the rotor bolts are Ti "We've also dressed up both the master cylinder and the caliper in titanium hardware, and thrown in our lightweight aluminum-backed pads." :thumbsup:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi guys,

Well I am about to pull the trigger on the the grams. I just got a break from my internship, and I want to ride as much as possible. After reading some of the comments here about the grams sold by pricepoint, I had second thoughts about getting them. So if you guys who have bought the brakes recently can please tell me what I will receive if I do buy em.

The grams will be my best option. I looked for similar brakes, but the price range jumps up to at least $100 (Hope Tech X2), $150 (Avid Elixir CR Mag), and $200 (Hope Race X2). I was really decided on getting the Race X2, but I just can´t justify spending $550 just for brakes. What are your opinions?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.