Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Monocog Masher
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Changed the pads on my Hayes Strokers. Used a Park Tool pad press to press out the pads and then removed them. Used the boxend wrench to spread the plunger a little more. Put in the new brakes. Put the tire on (plenty of space between the pads and the rotor). Spun the wheel and then squeezed the lever. The lever seems really slow to return and the pads are rubbing. Tried resetting the wheel a few time and rode around. Took the new pads out and used he boxend wrench to spread the plunger. Put the pads back in again (again still plenty of space between pads and rotor). Same sluggish-return lever and same rubbing. Any ideas?

I know the the Strokers are prone to these type of issues, but they worked fine before I changed the pads so I'm thinking it must have something to do with changing the pads.

Help, I have a 24 hour race coming up this weekend.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I always put a business card inbetween the pad and rotor before pulling lever. I'm not sure why your lever return is slow only after changing the pads. My came about over time, one caliper piston wouldn't retract all the way and lever return was sluggish. I emailed Hayes tech and they sent me out new master cylinder pistons right away. Easy replacement + brake bleeding, 30-45 minutes front and rear- no problems since.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.