Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
slap happy
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all. i'm new to these hydralic brakes, so i need to get a bleed kit for my brakes (hayes stroker ryde).
i've found several different kits online, ranging in price from a couple dollars to thirty+ dollars.

is there really any difference in these kits? the biggest difference is, some come with several of the adaptors and some don't.
i guess what i need to know is, does the $3 kit have everything i need to bleed my brakes (assuming i have nothing to begin with)?

cheap kit:
http://bike.com/hayes-bleed-fitting...uct&utm_medium=CSE&utm_campaign=GoogleProduct

expensive kit:
http://www.cswestbikes.com/servlet/the-16080/Hayes-Brake-Bleed-kit,/Detail

·
slap happy
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
good idea!
but being my first hydro brake setup, i'm going to stick with a commercial kit, as there's less ways to screw it up lol.

·
Registered
389 Posts
formula (avid-style) kit works on stroker trail - more below

i read a number of threads prior to bleeding my friend's brakes. he did it a number of times and continued to have issues, so i offered my completely amateur expertise as i just bled my formula oro k24's (kit is good on all formula brakes made since the oro). i tried the hayes brand bleed kit and felt it was somewhat difficult to use. not so much the bleed kit but the design (1/4 turn on the caliper screw, tubing over the screw, etc.).

to work on his stroker trails, i used a formula bleed kit w/ the syringe and basically reversed the directions of the hayes manual. fwiw, the formula kits are very similar to avid kits. the instructions in the hayes kit say to hook up the filler bottle over the top of the screw on the caliper and squeeze air / fluid towards the master cylinder (emptying into the catch bottle). however, the kit did not have the mag compression ring and therefore would barely stay on, even with a zip tie / thin wire. the pressure exerted on the filler bottle ultimate led to leaking fluid all over the place.

therefore, i hooked up my formula syringe / brass fitting to the master cylinder and filled it over 50% w/ fluid. since the method previously mentioned leaked fluid everywhere, i reasoned that as long as i soaked up most if it the damage would be minimal. i took the front caliper off the front wheel and put it about the same height as the master cylinder. i then forced fluid and any remaining bubbles out through the caliper fitting w/ it open 1/4 turn. once i felt it was complete (and no more air came out), i clamped down the luer lock fitting on the master cylinder syringe tube and used both hands to close the screw on the caliper. not sure if they come w/ one, but i inserted a 2mm x 1mm o ring in the master cylinder underneath the screw. i finished w/ cleaning everything w/ alcohol and the bleed worked great.

we went out today on a steep trail and the bleed seemed to do the trick. i know from searching that some people hate the bleed process / kits of the stroker. figured i should pass this along as it is another option.

·
slap happy
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PatrickK said:
Please watch the video.

amen brother. it doesn't get much simpler then that. luckily, i haven't had to bleed mine...Jenson's bleed seems to have been good.

·
Registered
389 Posts
watched it, providing another route

i watched the video and understand it. i also read the instructions and tips on mtbr. as evident from the large volume of posts about bleed problems, i wanted to show that their are other options.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.