Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody own a set yet? There seems to be one review that is posted on multiple sites across the web. I'm looking for something the replace my 10 year old Shimano 4pot XTs and the Promotive site has these for about the same price as Elixir 5s elsewhere. The Shimanos still work decent enough but want larger rotors for the front and possibly the rear, so figure I buy some new brakes. It would alss allow me to build back up the bike I stole the XTs from. I also own a set of 2011 Elixir 3s which I think are good brakes but want something with a few more bells and whistles while at the same time being lighter for my new Lynskey Ridgeline.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nobody is riding these yet? I know they are backordered most places I see online. I guess I'll toss 330 bucks at them and see how the work.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
These things are a ghost from what I've seen. They were supposed to launch almost a year ago. Lots of retailers put up ordering place holders for them but they just don't exist. I'm betting when you order them you'll find they're on backorder.

Hayes seems to be in cash starvation right now. Manitou is pushing some minor product updates but can't afford to update their website. Hayes found money to put the Prime's up on their website, but they appear to be lacking the money needed to execute a product launch.

I'd personally be pretty hesitant to drop $300 on an untested and unreviewed brakeset. Especially when it is based on a design that has a less than stellar reputation.

·
Registered
863 Posts
car_nut said:
These things are a ghost from what I've seen. They were supposed to launch almost a year ago. Lots of retailers put up ordering place holders for them but they just don't exist. I'm betting when you order them you'll find they're on backorder.

Hayes seems to be in cash starvation right now. Manitou is pushing some minor product updates but can't afford to update their website. Hayes found money to put the Prime's up on their website, but they appear to be lacking the money needed to execute a product launch.

I'd personally be pretty hesitant to drop $300 on an untested and unreviewed brakeset. Especially when it is based on a design that has a less than stellar reputation.
Harsh words...Hayes is has the best C.S. in the biz,and I'm sure the primes will perform well,my stroker aces are awesome !!!

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Not meant as criticism, just the reality of the matter. We've come through a tough recession and mountain biking falls squarely in the "disposable" column of peoples' budgets. Most companies have had to scale back development and Hayes is certainly one of them. They clearly haven't scaled back on the customer service end which I give them great credit for. I'm not trying to dog them and I would happily ride lots of their products.

This product however I wouldn't be willing to run out and drop my money on(yet). It is vaporware and I haven't seen any actual reviews for them. I'm not saying Strokers are a bad brake, but they certainly haven't been rated as top of the heap. If they had been routinely ranked as best of the best I might be willing to roll the dice on the Primes. But why roll the dice on a set of brakes that might be great. There are plenty of brakes out there that are well known to be great at a similar price point.

·
Registered
63 Posts
they should be out in April

I just bought some stuff from Hayes and they shipped on time, and had great customer service with my question about the Primes. Said they will be out in April, they were having mfg issues.

·
Obsession? Its a Passion!
129 Posts
car_nut said:

Not true. Hayes does not want to launch their Prime's until they are perfected. They have run into some issues during product testing that do not want to be in the production line (seal leakage, materials, consistency). They are in no way "untested". Remember the El Camino's? Hayes doesn't want a repeat of that dilemma. Plus, the prime is a complete redesign from the Stroker models. From what I have tested (yes, I have ridden with them), they are nothing like the strokers, and have much better feel, modulation, power, and adjustments than any previous Hayes brake. When they are perfect, they will be released to everyone.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
My statement of "untested" wasn't directed at Hayes' internally. What I meant by that was tested and compared to its competition by an external source such as Bikeradar. I'm not saying these don't hold the possibility of being great. What I am saying is that:
- Hayes has a less than perfect history with brakes
- They were promoted with a scheduled date for release and then vanished
- There are no published reviews that I can find from actual test riders. Just blog posts about how they haven't received their test samples yet.
- Hayes has clearly felt considerable pressure from the recession.

Given all of that, I'd consider it quite the gamble to be an early adopter. That's just me. They may be the next greatest thing in braking and you could be one of the first to own them. I'm just not willing recommend that someone take that bet until something more is known about them.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm holding out for these. My current brakes are getting old, and i have absolutely had it with juicys. Several rebuilds and bleeds later and they're still spongy and squeal. They're just annoying.

The primes appeal to me, what i've heard of them is exactly what i'm after. If hayes makes brakes as good as manitou made my fork, i'll be a very happy chappy! :p

Now i just wish they'd come out before i crack and buy some strokers.

joraff, they're normal sized brakes, not some four-piston downhill setup. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.