Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a little upgrade on my Ros 9. Currently have a set of older Shimano SLX's. They work fine for the most part but certainly lack any real feel or bite and certainly don't fare well on a lot of high speed downward pointed trails.

That being said I found these Hayes brakes while on a researching rabbit hole..

https://www.levelninesports.com/hayes-prime-mc-stroker-ace-brake-combo-oem

Would be able to pick up the f/r set for $135 with a sale code they have going on. Seems like a bargain for a set of 4 piston mtb brakes.

Problem is there's nothing out there that I've been able to find about this set up.

Anyone have anything to weigh in on? My brothers running some Prime Pro's on a fat bike and likes them so I'm guessing these will be around the same?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ace's were just OK. You needed a consistently steep trail to keep them hot, and they needed heat to bite hard.

See if you can find replacement pads for them before committing.
Thanks for this note. I don't think any of my trails have enough consistent downhill to make these worth wile for the price. Just thought it was a good deal but was curious as to why there wasn't much info out there.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I have Hayes Stroker Trail brakes. They were under powered until I went with Swiss Stop resin pads and 203/180 mm rotors (F/R). I'm not sure if the pads or the larger rotors made the biggest difference, as I made both changes at the same time. You can do something similar with your Shimano brakes.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I have had a set of Stroker Aces now for going on six years, which have been on three different bikes now. They have been solid, trouble free and have never let me down. Have not had a need to "upgrade" or try other brakes, they just work well and been trouble free.

Stopping power has been great, the feel/modulation is good and the big pads seem to last long. Use TruckerCo organic semi-metallic pads, which are only $10 a set.

Just did a complete rebuilt/overhaul on them last year with new pistons and levelers, and probably get many more years out of them.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have had a set of Stroker Aces now for going on six years, which have been on three different bikes now. They have been solid, trouble free and have never let me down. Have not had a need to "upgrade" or try other brakes, they just work well and been trouble free.

Stopping power has been great, the feel/modulation is good and the big pads seem to last long. Use TruckerCo organic semi-metallic pads, which are only $10 a set.

Just did a complete rebuilt/overhaul on them last year with new pistons and levelers, and probably get many more years out of them.
That's pretty promising news. Would you say that's a good deal for the brakes or is there a better alternative? I'm sure that's quite the subjective question but just weighing my options at this point.

·
Registered
713 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.