Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My inside piston on my front brake (HFX 9) keeps pumping out. The outside piston retracts just fine. I followed the instructions in the manual regarding pumped out pistons: removed pads, pushed piston back in with a box wrench, put pads back in, reinstalled caliper, centered it on rotor, and squeezed the lever. Both pads squeeze toward the rotor, but the inside one barely retracts and stays in contact with the rotor. How can I correct this problem? Or, does this sound like a faulty brake, I should send back in under warranty?

Thanks to all those who responded to my previous posts. By the way, I finally found out what was causing the squeak...it wasn't the brakes or rotor, it was my hub. I have a lefty and the self-retracting bolt in the hub was the culprit.

·
Registered
9,984 Posts
jagayers said:
My inside piston on my front brake (HFX 9) keeps pumping out. The outside piston retracts just fine. I followed the instructions in the manual regarding pumped out pistons: removed pads, pushed piston back in with a box wrench, put pads back in, reinstalled caliper, centered it on rotor, and squeezed the lever. Both pads squeeze toward the rotor, but the inside one barely retracts and stays in contact with the rotor. How can I correct this problem? Or, does this sound like a faulty brake, I should send back in under warranty?

Thanks to all those who responded to my previous posts. By the way, I finally found out what was causing the squeak...it wasn't the brakes or rotor, it was my hub. I have a lefty and the self-retracting bolt in the hub was the culprit.
I had a hayes piston that was not retracting nice at all, mind you it had a fair amount of miles on it. I received advice to pull out the pads, clean the piston with brake clean, then partly pump out the piston careful to not go to far and allow air into the system. Here is the neat part, spray with a squirt or 2 of windex, push pistons back in and re-assemble. Evidently the windex acts as a lubricant, and my pistons retract properly now!

Hope this helps.

TJ

·
Registered
11,627 Posts
I've found just working the pistons in and out works well. Keep the pads in, push them apart gently till they're right back then pump them together with the lever.

Repeat as necessary.

The best solution is to pop the pistons out and smear them with rubber grease. But it's not really necessary.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.