·
Trek Fuel EX 7
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Avids are opposing 2 piston.

I would NOT get the Hayes HFX9. The modulation is terrible. The reliability is questionable. Any 8" rotors are way overkill for XC.

The Juicy 7s are good brakes. They require a bit more patience during setup and bed-in, but they've been great to me for some time now.

The Hayes Mag is more comparable to the J7.

·
Double-metric mtb man
4,482 Posts
XSL_WiLL said:
Any 8" rotors are way overkill for XC.
I will have to disagree with you on this one, XSL_Will. While it is uncommon to see 7" and 8" rotors on XC machines, but that doesn't mean that they are way overkill...Depends on the rider's size and what the OP means by "a lot of downhill."

I'm a Clyde and live in an area where a river valley dominates the local riding. There are lots of long, moderately sloped trails that fit into the "XC" domain where a 6" rotor won't cut it for a larger rider. As you know, I ended up putting an 8" (though a 7" may have been sufficient) on the front of my bike because I was fading out. Sure, I have Hayes HFX-9 brakes, but I cannot blame the brakes....I have also tried it on a friends bike with Juicy 5's and had nothing left at the bottom then either...and no, I don't ride the brakes all the way down.

Granted, a lot of folks who ride XC like the lighter end of the spectrum and prefer the lighter weight both for the occasional race and for the better climbing...but that doesn't mean that a larger rotor will not be part of the package.

·
Trek Fuel EX 7
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the info guys just ordered a set of Avid juicy 7's. Went to LBS's an just the feel of them was soooo nice I can't go back to anything else.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.