Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
kona-tize me captain
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today my hayes hfx mags came in. i was very excited to get them up and running. i assembled them just the way the directions said to. i then set the bike up for it to be bled. when i went to attach the filler bottle hose to the bleed valve on the caliper it was fine, then once i loosened it 1/4 a turn liek it says to. i started to sgueeze the bottle and oil started to come out from around the valve. so then i stopped and i noticed when the bleedvalve isnt fully tightened down it movies around in its threads.(like it doesnmt make a good seal) what should i do to fix this, put some locktite on these upper threads to fill the gap? return the brake and get a new one? im very confused upon what to do. someone please help me

·
Registered
433 Posts
If it's really loose and leaks fluid then I would just send it back.
Also a little tip I do..after you put the hose over the bleeder valve I take a small zip tie
and tie it over the hose to the bleeder...Then it NEVER will come off by accident while you are bleeding and spill fluid on your new pads :) (much easier than taking your wheels off and removing the pads...which is the safer way)
Then just cut the zip tie off with some wire cutters when you are done...

·
Registered
104 Posts
From the sounds of it the threads are a touch on the buggered side. That shouldent happen, is it possible you cross-threaded them a bit and screwed up the threads yourself? or did you only screw it on once and it was just sloppy threads, if so its a manufacturers defect and Hayes should replace it with no worries...if you did f-the treads up accidently...heh, on of my favorite phrases oughtta work "It came like that."

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Sorry to threadjack, but I've never bled with a syringe before, and a lot of people say that it makes the process quite a bit simpler. How do you draw air back out using a syringe? Just pull the plunger back out? I know the bottle naturally draws any air out when it returns to it's original shape. Any suggestions to bleed my brakes better?

·
kona-tize me captain
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah i think im just gonna send it back instead of worryign about it. i did not do it either, it was liek that as soon as i opened the box for real lol. when i do get a new brake i will try out the zip tie idea. ill let you guys know how price point handles this return.

thanks guys

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
austinb89 said:
yeah i think im just gonna send it back instead of worryign about it. i did not do it either, it was liek that as soon as i opened the box for real lol. when i do get a new brake i will try out the zip tie idea. ill let you guys know how price point handles this return.

thanks guys
When you snug the bleeder & squeze the brake lever does fluid leak out?

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
_rich_ said:
If it's really loose and leaks fluid then I would just send it back.
Also a little tip I do..after you put the hose over the bleeder valve I take a small zip tie
and tie it over the hose to the bleeder...Then it NEVER will come off by accident while you are bleeding and spill fluid on your new pads :) (much easier than taking your wheels off and removing the pads...which is the safer way)
Then just cut the zip tie off with some wire cutters when you are done...
very good advice....I use a srynge....they pump in more fluid faster and your brakes respond quicker

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
XSL_WiLL said:
Sorry to threadjack, but I've never bled with a syringe before, and a lot of people say that it makes the process quite a bit simpler. How do you draw air back out using a syringe? Just pull the plunger back out? I know the bottle naturally draws any air out when it returns to it's original shape. Any suggestions to bleed my brakes better?
first off the syringe "pushes" the fluid at the caliper and the bottle "receives" the fluid at the lever....keep a lot of rubbing alcohol handy to wipe messes away... I usually wrap the caliper and the brake lever with rags to suck up any mishap. I literally poor alcohol over everything if any fluid leaks anywhere. Your brakes will be more solid from the get go with a syringe...you don't have to pump up your brakes...they are ready to go instantly

another tip ...I squeeze the receptor bottle so it helps suck the fluid as I am pushing with the syringe.....also I turn the syringe so the pushing thing is at the bottom and I take out all the air....I usually do it twice to make sure all the old fluid is gone

Real good tip Buy Dot 3/4 brake fluid at napa or an auto parts store...you get a huge quanity fo a cheaper price than the bike shop (which gives you hardly anything

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.