Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a used 2005 giant iguana and I am looking at chipping away at upgrading components. I am a 260 pound trail rider, not too hard core just like to ride in the woods. Heard mixed reviews on the Hayes HMX-1 brakes and wondered if I should replace. Any recommendations? Thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Had vbrakes on my old bike and hadnt really experienced disc, the weather and free time havent allowed me to ride more than just the test ride where they appeared to be just ok. Stopped about as good as my vbrakes. Now I havent checked the pads or done any adjusting so maybe they turn out fine. Just curious.

·
B A N N E D
5,315 Posts
Re. the mixed reviews on the Hayes HMX-1

If these brakes are set up and tuned properly they aren't a bad brake. I'm sure most of the bad reviews for this brake come from them being either poorly set up, not tuned properly or used for a style of riding that they weren't meant for.
Give these brakes a bit of a chance before you go and upgrade them, make sure the pads aren't worn out, make sure that that they are set up/ tuned properly and take them for a proper ride before you decide to change them.

MX-1/HMX-1 Installation & Set Up: http://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/pdf/MX-1Install45-15216D4LangEnglish.pdf

I have a set of these brakes on a bike and they work fine for me but I'm not quite as heavy as you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts