Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I've been spending way too much money on my 05 Expert Stumpjumper FSR (building it from the frame up), so I'm almost done I've just gotta get my brakes, stem, and cassette, and I'll tell you its been an adventure I've been addicted to ebay and bike stores looking for the best prices, but I've loved every minute of it.. Anyway I'm kinda pressed for cash at the moment, so I've been looking at the Hayes HFX 9, and I would like to know peoples opinions on them.. Are they a decent set of hydro's, or should I just wait to get the Stroker trails, or Juicy's? I don't have that much experience riding, but still want good brakes..

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
They aren't great. Not terrible either for what they cost. Jenson has them as take-offs or something for $60 - I'd call them a great brake for that price, but the $130-140 full retail... Jucy 5s or Maruga Julie or even Shimano LX IMO better for the money.

·
Registered
333 Posts
hayes hfx on my xc hardtail and my all mtn fs...both 9's...both stop my 240tail on the trails "almost perfectly not awesome!" i have yet to bleed or change pads...they are well worth 60bones and you will not be disappointed...most other riders will not even mention that you have a sweet bike "with only Hayes 9's on it!" they are hydros...they are cheap...cut a corner and buy the V7 or V8...!

·
Registered
190 Posts
HFX 9's will provide enough power and modulation to get the job done. However, it doesn't feel anywhere near as nice as the Hayes Stroker Trails (I own both brake systems). The HFX 9 levers don't move as smoothly and are hard to modulate in comparison. I also prefer the lever design of the Strokers because I have small hands and like to do one-finger braking. The Strokers also probably weigh a lot less than the 9's.

If I had a choice, I probably wouldn't get HFX 9's again. It's not because they don't work (they work just fine), rather it's because Strokers have spoiled me enough to want something better.

·
Ride the dream
1,381 Posts
I actually still use mine (HFX9-HD), and I quite like them.

Theres better brakes around, but I like them and mine have lasted well in allround pretty foul conditions.
Power (even on 160 rotors) is rather "hit-the-wall", and modulation isnt its finest point - however, with a bit of use you get to control them just fine.

There might be better brakes around, but if you can still get them on closeout then I would seriously doubt you'd find anything as good for the money.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply's.. OK so, I can get them for $120, and if all else fails and I don't like them I can always ditch em and get something better.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
OneTimeCRX said:
HFX 9's will provide enough power and modulation to get the job done. However, it doesn't feel anywhere near as nice as the Hayes Stroker Trails (I own both brake systems). The HFX 9 levers don't move as smoothly and are hard to modulate in comparison. I also prefer the lever design of the Strokers because I have small hands and like to do one-finger braking. The Strokers also probably weigh a lot less than the 9's.

If I had a choice, I probably wouldn't get HFX 9's again. It's not because they don't work (they work just fine), rather it's because Strokers have spoiled me enough to want something better.
I swore of Hayes brakes after I had the HFX 9s. I really hated them. I tried Stroker Trails and they changed my mind. I liked them so much I got a pair for my bike.d

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
I've had them, I'd be much much happier with J5's, LX, or BB7's.

I like the non-hd lever a lot more than the HD

·
Any given singletrack!
82 Posts
Thumbs up for HFX-9 from me. I have them 4 years on my bike, and only change pads when worn. That's it. No air in system, no failure's, not a single service, nothing. They work just as the day i bought them.

There are better brakes in term of modulation and even power, but 4 years without a problem... That speeks for itself.

·
Registered
735 Posts
These things are bullit proof, and as for peoples comments about these brakes not modulating, that is total B.S. I had them on my old Anthem and am still using them on my Trance. Upgraded to the Hayes Grams for the new Anthem, are they nicer? sure $300 nicer? probably NOT!

·
Registered
527 Posts
I have bb7s on my bike, and would reccomend them strongly over hydros! i never have to worry about snapping a line, and with full length housing theyre really almost maintenance free! i only adjust the pads once every ten rides or so and it takes less than 30 seconds and requires no tools!

·
Ride the dream
1,381 Posts
Apart from saying modulation is good, yes he said it pretty well.

Dont get me wrong, modulation isnt terrible - but theres alot of power and you have to adapt to the feel of them to get decent control over that power.
When swapping between these and other brakes, you notice that difference - personally I like them, but I do know that they dont suit everyones tastes.

There are alot of nicer "feeling" brakes, although not at the prices mentioned in this thread.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Agreed, the modulation of the HFX 9 isn't impossible nor is it terrible. It's just not as good as the Stroker Trails or many other pricier models. To be clear, I never said that HFX 9's do not modulate.

For the price, I don't think that it's a bad choice to try out the HFX 9's. At least you're not considering the Hayes Soles, which I would have recommended you stay away from!

·
*Contents Under Pressure
352 Posts
i like mine. they stop my bike. i fix them when they make noise.

·
Registered
156 Posts
dogo said:
thanks for all the reply's, but Anthem1 seemed to say it best.. Thanks.
HFX-9's are the ****. I don't even have to consciously touch them, i just think 'slow down' and they work. I don't maintain them, in fact i bought them online, and the next day they were installed on my bike. They feel wooden, the way the interior of a Jag feels wooden. Not having any reservoir means that i don't have to worry about air in the reservoir getting into the lines. **** yeah.

did i say it better?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have HFX-9's on a few of my bikes, and Stroker Carbons on my main rig. The 9's have a definite binary on/off nature, but once you get used to them they will stop you just fine. For the price that you can find them for ($60?), they are a superb value.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
D34ThL0rd69 said:
HFX-9's are the ****. I don't even have to consciously touch them, i just think 'slow down' and they work. I don't maintain them, in fact i bought them online, and the next day they were installed on my bike. They feel wooden, the way the interior of a Jag feels wooden. Not having any reservoir means that i don't have to worry about air in the reservoir getting into the lines. **** yeah.

did i say it better?
Except they do have a reservoir... and that's not the only way air can enter the lines.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.