Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rear brake lever is slow to return. The front brake releases with a snap and returns to the fully extended position but the front returns slowly. I have taken the lever off and checked both pivot locations and they are free. The lever is not overtightened in the housing. The pads also release fully and do not rub so I'm now wondering if the return spring could be bad or if the piston is dragging in the master cylinder (old swollen seals?). Has anyone else had this problem? Ideas?

Thanks,

Kent

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I had a problem with the lever staying down after I braked. But that was because I had been sloppy when putting locktite on that little screw that always came out. It got in between the lever and it's housing and made it stick. It was ok after cleaning with alcohol.

·
zoip.
170 Posts
I have the same problem with a set of el caminos. they're new, they've only been bedded in on pavement and been on dirt twice (about five hours total riding). the rear returns quickly and with a snap, the front feels like there's more drag on the push rod or something. additionally, the push rod for the rear brake is completely clean and dry, the front appears to have some sort of fluid on it. doesn't appear to be leaking, particularly, just a little damp.

this is my first set of discs, so i'm a bit paranoid about them. also, i've got the reach adjustment all the way in on the front and the lever is still somewhat further from the bar than I'd like. anything I can do here? Do I need to call hayes for any or all of this?

·
Faller - Expert Class
647 Posts
Ok, long story (or stories) short.

About a month after I got my Kona, my HFX-9 Carbon's rear would lose all pressure at random times. I had them check it out, and they said that they went to bleed the brakes, the fluid came out, but it wouldn't take any fluid in. They swapped the master cylinder to resolve the issue.

When I was having the brakes bled on it @ a week ago, the mechanic had an issue similar to where the fluid would drain, but it again wouldn't take fluid. He talked to the Hayes tech who just found out a few days before what was causing this, since he had run into a similar issue. He said that the fluid tends to "crystalize" or gum up near the caliper end (if I remember correctly). I think he had to flush the fluid and/or clean out what had gotten gummed up, and then the brakes bled fine. Wish I could provide more or better details, but just wanted to throw that possibility out there. BTW, the brakes only had a season's worth of riding on them.

Have you tried bleeding them?

Hope this helps some!

:cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.