Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently use BB7 breaks but I am not totally happy with the feeling of the break. I have a opportunity to buy a used set of Hayes HFX 9 w/ carbon levers for 50$ . If you have had experience with the Hayes HFX 9 please let me know if this would be a good upgrade.

·
Registered
546 Posts
BB7 > HFX 9
The avids have more than enough power when set up right. What do you not like about your bb7's. If you don't have compressionless housing and good cables, that's a must. I like the jagwire ripcord housing. Comes in cool colors. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
schneidie said:
BB7 > HFX 9
The avids have more than enough power when set up right. What do you not like about your bb7's. If you don't have compressionless housing and good cables, that's a must. I like the jagwire ripcord housing. Comes in cool colors. :thumbsup:
Well I dont know what kind of housing it has but it is black. You ask what I dont like about my BB7s. I dont like how far I have to pull down the lever for me to have to break. I dont like the spongy feeling that the levers give off when I break. And they are super noisy. I like the fact that they are light and simple. I honestly dont really trust them to much. I think that a butter smooth pull of the break would really boost my confidence on my bike thats why I am considering the HFX 9.

·
Registered
304 Posts
If hydraulic brakes are akin to butter
Properly setup BB7's are akin to "I can't believe it's not butter" margarine

Personally, I think you should spend some more time getting frustrated with your BB7's. You'll likely have to do some caliper centering, maybe some rotor straightening but once they're dialed in they WILL work really well. If your getting alot of lever flex when you're really squeezing the brakes it's is likely two things. 1. your inboard (stationary) pad is dialed too far out from the rotor or 2. your cable housing is compressing, replace with a lower compression housing. Also, lubricating your cable will give you more more of that butter smooth action that you're looking for. Just don't use butter.

Also, changing to hydraulics will not guarantee less squeal, I have a set of stroker trails that just love to sing in the rain or shine.

Deep.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
yeah..i have hfx9 on my xc bike...since probably 06 as well..they work just fine...it was a significant upgrade from bb7...they are good brakes but all brakes have to be learned and kept up...you can find crazy deals on them these days as well

·
Registered
9,436 Posts
I had Avid and Hayes Mechanical disc brakes for years. I always felt they operated adequatly until I got into DH. After running hydro's I just couldn't go back to my BB7's. Mechanicals have enough power they just don't have that smooth lever pull. I have run HFX - 9's and Mag's properly setup they are fine despite plenty of Haye's haters. Do understand hydro's have a learning curve - either you spend the time to bleed and adjust or have a good LBS do the work otherwise you will spend a lot of time bashing hydro's on MTBR :)

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I have the Hayes 9s. They have a solid feel to them (not spongy). One thing that is cheezy is the bleed plug. Instead of a screw and o-ring, it is just a plug that is crammed in the hole. Be careful when bleeding you don't enlarge the reservoir hole and make sure the plug is pushed all the way in. People have had problems with the plugs falling out.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I use the 9's on my AM bike and BB7's on my XC bike.
I'd say stick with the BB7's, it sounds like they're not set up properly. Spend some time to get them set up right and maybe upgrade to compression less housing (like Avid FlackJacket or Jagwire stuff).
The 9's work marginally better, but overall I've found them less trustworthy and harder to work on the the BB7's. Their biggest benefit is how they auto-adjust to compensate for pad wear.

·
Feeling retro..but Jung
223 Posts
Like my 9's just fine..I think it's a worthy upgrade to BB7's but then I don't like mechanical discs much, because of said stationary pad..

·
Registered
239 Posts
4,000 miles on my HFX9s and they've never been bled. About 100 miles ago I had a problem with the front brake (it's a long story and was my fault). I bought a new front HFX9 and installed it. I didn't even have to bleed the new one. It came pre-assembled and pre-bled.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I've used the Hayes sintered metallic pads for the past four years, on second set, and I ride in the desert. I've heard the semi-metallic pads (organic?) may work better in wetter climates/seasons.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.