Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
w3rd.
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the HD's on my freeride bike, and I have the XT's with dual controls on my xc bike. I'm getting tired of the dual control levers. So, I was thinking of saving money by just switching the brake systems.

My question is as far as weight goes, how much of a difference are we talking about? The Hayes site says that the HD's are for FR/DH use, and weight around 530g's. How heavy are the rotors?My friend might be giving me his old Hope mini rotors which have to be lighter than the Hayes rotors.

Also, the XT lever itself was something like 270 grams, just for the lever. :skep:. Anyone know what a XT brake system weighs, bled with the rotor?

If the XT's are that much lighter than the HD's, then I may just spend the extra few bucks and rock the levers.

Any input would be great.

·
Registered
712 Posts
The saint/xt brake with lever, hose, caliper, bracket and all bolts weighs 340 grams (no disc). Normally a 160 disc is 120grams, a 180 around 150-160 and 203 around 200.
Don't use a mini disc with the Hayes as its braking surface is far too narrow.
I'd do as already suggested and buy new levers for your xt's.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
XSL_WiLL said:
The Nines suck.

Keep the XTs, eBay the DCs, and buy new levers. Deores, XTs, whatever. They're all essentially the same.
I second Will's suggestion... I did exactly that a couple months ago... ebayed the DCs... then I got the Xt levers and the 07 XT triggers and they rock!

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
Purple Liquid said:
I'm keeping the XT's. I'll ebay the DC's and order deore levers.

Thanks for the input guys.
Cool.. keep us posted...

By the way these is the combo I got to replace the DCs... as Will said you can get practically any Shimano hydro lever

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.