Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help!!! I have the bike and brakes at a shop now and they're telling me the Hayes HFX-9 are not compatible on the '03 S-Works Epic due to the Brain Shock. The wrench is telling me the hydraulic line will have to bend to the point of a kink to avoid the shock. However I know for a fact that Specialized had that very same brake as a SPEC item on the '03 Epic Disc model.

Is there any difference between disc mount and Brain location on the '03 S-Works Epic frame and the '03 Epic frame? Is my shop just missing something here? The mechanic called specialized and they said "just use Shimano", but that would mean spending an extra $500, and I really like the feel of the hayes and completely changing my choice of wheelsets, levers, etc.

Is there anybody out there running the Avid Mechanical 185mm on an '03 S-works Epic?

·
Registered
83 Posts
VTSEAL said:
Please help!!! I have the bike and brakes at a shop now and they're telling me the Hayes HFX-9 are not compatible on the '03 S-Works Epic due to the Brain Shock. The wrench is telling me the hydraulic line will have to bend to the point of a kink to avoid the shock. However I know for a fact that Specialized had that very same brake as a SPEC item on the '03 Epic Disc model.

Is there any difference between disc mount and Brain location on the '03 S-Works Epic frame and the '03 Epic frame? Is my shop just missing something here? The mechanic called specialized and they said "just use Shimano", but that would mean spending an extra $500, and I really like the feel of the hayes and completely changing my choice of wheelsets, levers, etc.

Is there anybody out there running the Avid Mechanical 185mm on an '03 S-works Epic?
i wouldn't worry about it.....i have an '03 sworkds epic with hayes mag plus brakes and have had them for almost a year without any problems. yes, the hydraulic line does bend around the brain, but so what?? it's just fluid in a hose! ;-)
good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts