Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to go pull my brake assembly off my rotor today because ive had a nasty squeal, thought maybe a rock was in there, well there wasnt. So I slid it back on and noticed the pads were grabbing quite hard on my disc. I know very little about DH disc brakes, so i thought maybe id loosen the fluid hose a bit to let some pressure off the pads, WRONG IDEA. I dont know what I did, but now i have no pressure in my brake lines, and the brake lever is just depressing with no effort . Please reply and let me know what i have to do in order to fix this problem!!!!!!!

Thanks
Evan

·
Bike Addiction
763 Posts
Take it to a bike shop and tell them what happened. They will have to add fluid and bleed your brake line. Oops. Things happen. Ask the bike mechanic what to do next time. Pads need to be adjusted once in a while and you need to know how. Its easy.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
You got air in the system when you cracked open the bleed valve...I'm assuming you opened the bleed valve. I've done something along these lines in the past to relieve an overfilled system on some Hayes hydros...but you don't just crack open the bleed valve. What you do is to put on a 3-4 inch length of clear tubing pressed over the nipple of the bleed valve of the caliper and make the clear line stand straight up so fluid doesn't run out and air gets in. Take the wheel off the bike so the disc is out of the caliper. Get a common flat blade screwdriver that fits into the gap between the two pads. Crack open the caliper bleed valve and then turn the screwdriver flat to the face of the pads so that you push the pads and pistons in as far as they go. Don't go crazy with the screwdriver. You can tell when the pistons/pads are fairly well bottomed out. You'll see fluid has risen in the clear hose. Now close the bleed valve. Now the pads and pistons should clear any dragging rotor condition unless the rotor is bent or the caliper is not aligned on the mount.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replies guys. I didnt crack open the bleed valve, i cracked open the Fluid line that carries the fluid to the caliper, either way yes i obviously got air in my lines. soo the only way to have this fixed is bring it into a shop and have them re-bleed my brakes? i have no brake tools/bleeders around my house. so i suppose im stuck with that option.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
evan1395 said:
thanks for the replies guys. I didnt crack open the bleed valve, i cracked open the Fluid line that carries the fluid to the caliper, either way yes i obviously got air in my lines. soo the only way to have this fixed is bring it into a shop and have them re-bleed my brakes? i have no brake tools/bleeders around my house. so i suppose im stuck with that option.
I didn't see the mention of exactly which Hayes brakes you have, but most Hayes don't require any special tools. An 8mm wrench, some clear tubing, and a squeeze bottle is all that's needed to bleed most Hayes brakes. I wish my Avid brakes were this easy.

Yeah, you should never break the seal between a hose and the caliper or master cylinder for this purpose. You're trying to bleed fluid between two fluid sources. Always use the bleed the valve.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.