Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of HFX Comps on my Fuel 90. The last set of pads I had (Fibrax sintered) lost braking power after they were only half used. I havn't had this problem before. I don't think I need a brake bleed and their doesn't seem to be any oil etc on the pads or rotors. I noticed the pads were bevelled, which can only be due to wear on a the rotor. Does anyone know if rotor wear, resulting in bevelled pads will cause brake fade ?

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
I don't know for certain...

but beveling can occur most likely from the pad not being evenly pushed against the rotor. Rotor wear?? Can be, but for sure any pad will wear before. Avid mechanicals use only sintered pads and they do bevel the pads. I guess this is beacause the pad is not pushed from the center which makes a end of the pad to be more firmly pushed against the rotor than the other end. Hayez are basically the same design with a little tweaks so it could happen too.

For the fade... I dunno. I've had beveled pads but they work fine all the way until they wear totally out. My guess is you to look somewhere else regarding the fade.

Try to address the problem and if the pad turns out to be the "bad-guy-of-the-movie" drop a line to Fibrax... they're open to listening and address problems. They asked me to sent a pair of pads back to them when I told them their pads did not fit an Avid brake.

·
Registered
295 Posts
nigec said:
I have a set of HFX Comps on my Fuel 90. The last set of pads I had (Fibrax sintered) lost braking power after they were only half used. I havn't had this problem before. I don't think I need a brake bleed and their doesn't seem to be any oil etc on the pads or rotors. I noticed the pads were bevelled, which can only be due to wear on a the rotor. Does anyone know if rotor wear, resulting in bevelled pads will cause brake fade ?
If your pads are worn more on the outer diameter of the rotor contact surface you will get reduced braking and brake fade because your brake contact surface is reduced so you have to apply more force and the pads will heat up more and reach the saturation point. Hayes pads tend to wear faster where they contact the outer diameter of the rotor because of the higher surface speed. You will get more braking power on new pads that are not worn at a angle and are getting full pad contact and are braking on the outer diameter of the rotor where you have the most braking leverage ( Hayes brakes are more sensitive to this type of wear because the pads are taller and not as long as the 4 or 6 piston brakes.
Erik,
Balle Racing
www.balleracing.com

1 - 3 of 3 Posts