Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It happened on my rear brake today. The brake lever bottoms and the brakes barely engage (sometimes they don't). The pads are about worn out, but still have some lining left. The question is it the pads almost worn out or do the brakes need bleeding? The brake lever isn't spongy, which would indicate air in the system.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wyrm said:
if the pads are less than .5mm thick then they are done. Any less it will give you the symtoms that you are describing. Air in the hose is a spongy feel.
I put in new pads and that fixed the problem. This concerns me though, because the brake should engage even if the pads are worn down to the metal backing. The lining, even on a new pad, is not that thick. I still had lining left. I think this is a safety issue.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
When you squeeze it, is it generating enough pressure to lock the pads? If you hold it down, does it loose pressure?

It could be internal bypass in the master cylinder. Very common with those brakes.

If it's just squishy, try to bleed it first.

Oh... NVM... You fixed the issue with new pads.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MikeDee said:
I put in new pads and that fixed the problem. This concerns me though, because the brake should engage even if the pads are worn down to the metal backing. The lining, even on a new pad, is not that thick. I still had lining left. I think this is a safety issue.
Well, no it didn't fix the problem. I then bled the brakes, but that didn't solve the problem either. I called Hayes and they said the brake line was bad, something about an internal leak between the inner part of the line and the outer covering. He seemed pretty convinced that that was it, so I ordered a new brake line. I can find no external leaks in the system. I'll keep you posted if this solves the problem.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
XSL_WiLL said:
When you squeeze it, is it generating enough pressure to lock the pads? If you hold it down, does it loose pressure?

It could be internal bypass in the master cylinder. Very common with those brakes.

If it's just squishy, try to bleed it first.

Oh... NVM... You fixed the issue with new pads.
It turns out it was a bad bleed after all. Getting all the air out takes a bit of learning. I may also have a tiny leak somewhere that let fluid out/air in, but I can't see any signs of leakage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.