Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Slow and steady
503 Posts
al-r said:
Is there an Avid adapter that would allow me to run a 180mm rear disc with a hayes mag caliper?
Yes. Just buy the Avid 180/185mm rear disc mount and an Avid 180/185mm disc.

Note that you can also use a Hayes Psylo 8" front-mount bracket to mount a 7" (180/185) rotor on the back. If you already have an 8" on the front, it is a quick thing to do a test mount .

I am running a Hayes G2 caliper with an Avid 185mm rear mount and a Hope mini 185mm rotor. Works great.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Tony said:
Yes. Just buy the Avid 180/185mm rear disc mount and an Avid 180/185mm disc.

Note that you can also use a Hayes Psylo 8" front-mount bracket to mount a 7" (180/185) rotor on the back. If you already have an 8" on the front, it is a quick thing to do a test mount .

I am running a Hayes G2 caliper with an Avid 185mm rear mount and a Hope mini 185mm rotor. Works great.
Tony I am looking to fit a 7 inch rotor using my Hayes HFX9 caliper, but the LBS says the avid adapter wont work (based on their experience). You mention a "hayes Psylo 8" front mount " adapter will work on the rear, are there different adapters for different forks to watch out for. Do you know if the Hayes G2 caliper different fitting from a HFX9?

·
Slow and steady
503 Posts
Hayes G2 caliper is what the HFX9 uses. The Psylo 8" mount is also known as the international-standard 8" mount. Note that the 20mm fork brackets are too thick.

I am using an Avid 185mm rear international-standard bracket right now and have been for over a year on my Titus. Note that on my bike the bracket is a little too narrow, so I had to use a couple of shims to space the bracket out a bit, 1 or 2 mm. That is probably what has stymied your LBS in the past.

-Tony

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.