Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my new Esker Hayduke built up. Many parts came off my El Mariachi. Just waiting on things to dry out around here so I can get some dirt on it. I did add some nice Wolftooth shiny bits.

Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel

Red Bicycle accessory White Bicycle Bicycle part

·
Bikes in jeans
2,381 Posts
Such a clean looking ride, I like the lime green version better though ;). What's the weight come out to? Guessing about 20 even with those nice chunky tires.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Got my new Esker Hayduke built up. Many parts came off my El Mariachi. Just waiting on things to dry out around here so I can get some dirt on it. I did add some nice Wolftooth shiny bits.

View attachment 1247450

View attachment 1247451
This is definitely a great looking build. Congrats! This frame is on my short list of next frames. Would you mind giving a review of it when you get some miles on it?

·
Registered
910 Posts
Subscribed - looking for my next frame and Hayduke is on the list. Also considering RSD MC.

@OP - can you ballpark what is the widest 29er tire would fit? 29.3 stated on the site seems pretty conservative

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Slammed forward, there is about 5mm clearance on a 29x2.35 Racing Ralph on a 31.8mm internal rim. Moved back it is more like 12mm. The chainstays widen pretty quickly so they can clear the 27+ tires.

Forward
Red Carmine Measuring instrument Coquelicot Number

Back
Red Font Carmine Tool Tape measure

The ride is great on the new frame. My old El Mariachi was way too stiff. I talked with Tim Krueger about it and he said that the EU increased their testing specs (2012 maybe??) and all the steel frames went from ~5.5 lbs to ~7 lbs to meet the new requirement. This was why my El Mariachi rode so stiff. He said he is not selling the Esker Hayduke into the EU so he can have it back at 5.5 lbs and riding like a steel frame should.

·
Ride On
907 Posts
Slammed forward, there is about 5mm clearance on a 29x2.35 Racing Ralph on a 31.8mm internal rim. Moved back it is more like 12mm. The chainstays widen pretty quickly so they can clear the 27+ tires.

Forward
View attachment 1249999

Back
View attachment 1250000

The ride is great on the new frame. My old El Mariachi was way too stiff. I talked with Tim Krueger about it and he said that the EU increased their testing specs (2012 maybe??) and all the steel frames went from ~5.5 lbs to ~7 lbs to meet the new requirement. This was why my El Mariachi rode so stiff. He said he is not selling the Esker Hayduke into the EU so he can have it back at 5.5 lbs and riding like a steel frame should.
Well. I've been waiting for a Timberjack for a long time and it looks like I'll be waiting until the fall. This has suddenly jumped onto the list, weights aren't too bad and the geo seems great very rigid fork friendly. Any chance you could test larger tire clearance out say a 2.6 or 3 on those rims?

Thanks.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well. I've been waiting for a Timberjack for a long time and it looks like I'll be waiting until the fall. This has suddenly jumped onto the list, weights aren't too bad and the geo seems great very rigid fork friendly. Any chance you could test larger tire clearance out say a 2.6 or 3 on those rims?

Thanks.
Sorry, I don't have any bigger tires to try out.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Esker hosted a demo day near me recently and I rode both the Elkat and the Hayduke.

I LOVED the Hayduke. I had not ridden a hardtail in years and this thing was just fun plain to ride.

For those that have ridden one more than me, how does it handle in more techy terrain? I think I remember seeing they slackened the HT angle a bit from the old Hayduke. My demo version had 2.8 McFly tires on it and it felt awesome.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I got a sublime hayduke 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to build it up because they sent the incorrect drop outs. I have messaged them a few times and have gotten no response. I hope they are ok but this wait is killing me!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After getting a few good dirt rides in, I can definitely tell that the Hayduke is less harsh than the El Mariachi. It is good to be back on a steel frame that rides like a steel frame should.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel

Wrapped that up this evening. For the most part, everything went together nicely. Only issue I need to resolve is with the rear brake. The 180mm rotor and adapter don't work on this frame. When together, the pads barely make contact on 1/4 of the rotor. Anyone else have that same issue?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.