Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been gone from home for a month and was very anxious to ride again. When I finally got home I had a brand new Cannondale Prophet 600 waiting for me that I couldn't wait to ride. I had never worn clipless peddles before and the new bike was equipped with them. The Bicycle Shop had advised me to start out on an easy road to get used to clipless. I headed straight for my favorite trail. After crashing about 4 or 5 times I finally got to my favorite part of the trail which is a nice downhill section. Man I was looking forward to blasting down this section with my new 5 inch full suspension bike after having a hardtail for many years. Well about that time I heard some loud screeching up in the treetops but didn't think too much of it. The screeching got loader and then there was a missle that shot past my head. Yowzy. After crashing again my first thought was to get out of there as fast as I could. I hopped back on the bike and was in the process of vacating when The missle came in low this time and hit me in the head. Thankfully I had on a bicycle helmet. Anyway about that time I decided I wasn't going to be able to outrun this determined mother. I got off my bike and got a big stick to defend myself as I pushed the bike on down the hill while walking backwards. I had to go probably a 10th of a mile this way while fending off repeated dive bombing runs before she figured I was far enough away to not bother with anymore. After getting home me and the bike was covered from top to bottom with mud and I had scratches and holes in my new bicycle helmet from the hawk attack. All in all though I felt it was good to get back in the saddle and that my new bike had had a proper break in.

peddler

·
Registered
248 Posts
goshawk?

Sounds like a goshawk- territorial - please quickly learn to ride your new peds so you can blow by that section next time - I used to ride by a similar, if infamous, bird in the APU trails, as did other bicyclist and runners - and was dismayed to hear of that bird's death by stick (Anchorage Daily News article).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
avoiding the hawk attack

I've decided on a different approach to avoiding an attack. My solution is just to avoid that trail altogether. There are several other nearby trails that I've been using instead of that one. Unless she decides to move her family to near the other trails then we should both be fine. She can raise her family and I can keep my scalp. :)

Peddler

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.