Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the almost epic ride that needs a better name, since it is not actually epic, and I resent the careles way in which a simple run to the Walgreen's has suddenly become "epic" thusly devaluing the term from all actually epic rides. But "Hawes\Pass Mtn Loop" is rather ho-hum.

Here are my suggestions so far:

* Passing the Red Sister
* Pass the Red Twister
* Hawes\Pass Mtn Intensely Colorful Loop

I got all of the Tower drop-in today for the first time, so I guess this is a shameless "Yay Me!" thread.

Yay Me!

·
I, Mudd
213 Posts
DurtGurl said:
Yay you! Last time I was on the Tower trail (hiking on Thanksgiving), it was lookin mighty sketchy.

Hawes/Pass Loopidoo?
I was up there Saturday and it looked pretty bad. I had only been up there once before (last year) and I seem to remember it being a lot more "solid" than Saturday.

·
My other ride is your mom
5,442 Posts
I'd offer up an alternative, but I'd just be defaulting to Lebowski terms....so my vote is for the Intensely colorful name...reminds me items of a chinese menu...so you might have to add the word "glorious" somewhere in that name as well.

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Happy Hawes Pass Mtn Loopidoo with Black Bean Sauce is certainly an improvement.

conditions on Hawes were about par for the course - its kitty litter and I dont think its ever going to change. I just felt really good, picturing the dropin all week and was really focused on hitting it since last year - being able to see it from my house and having never cleaned it got me very motivated. I dropped the seat 4-5 inches, which DG encouraged me to do last time we rode Holbert, and since then I have been having a lot more success on steeps. This was my XC bike (29er), and I had actually forgotten my suspension was locked out until I passed the 3rd slot by the saguaro :eek: The seat down made such a huge difference to my feeling of control on the steeps, suspension wasnt a big deal.

last time I did this loop I rode my 6inch Heckler, which let me be a little more aggressive in some spots on Pass Mtn etc descending and it did help me stick on a few climbing trials, but the lighter 29er on the whole was a much better choice for this route - i had to ride it a little cleaner through the chunks, but I had so much more energy all ride.

Super fun day, tons of hikers and a few bikers on Pass Mtn but everyone was friendly. Nothing like checking something off your "Cleaned it!" List to start the work week right :D

·
Registered
84 Posts
What kinda bike do you ride, Cholla? Just wondering if we've crossed paths before (yesterday or otherwise). I was out at Hawes for a short ride yesterday ~8:45 - 10:15AM. Nice day, except for the wind coming from the North/North-East...in other words, in your face for almost everything going "up"!

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BullitTom said:
What kinda bike do you ride, Cholla? Just wondering if we've crossed paths before (yesterday or otherwise). I was out at Hawes for a short ride yesterday ~8:45 - 10:15AM. Nice day, except for the wind coming from the North/North-East...in other words, in your face for almost everything going "up"!
I was on a white\red Kona 29r, which is my usual Hawes bike. I launched about 8:30 and was a the bottom of Twisted at 9:15. So prolly didnt see you yesterday, but for sure say hello next time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.