Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having read all the bits on here about ti springs - it seemed a bit of a nightmare. So I emailed a few UK suppliers and they were coming back with "what diameter is it?" and "we might have."

So it follows that I am worried I may end up with an incorrect size or something.

Can anyone recommend a fairly trusted way of getting exactly what I need (a replacement ti spring for a romic twin tube 5 spot 2 x 550 )? UK or US along with the exact spec.

Thanks.

Did some riding up in scotland at the weekend, the climbing on this thing is awesome. I am climbing everything.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Are you wanting specs to custom make one? Or just to be sure your buying the correct one?? Renton Coil Spring here in washington basically supplies most US companies with Ti springs (romic being one of them). Previously they didnt do single orders, but it seems MBA has been printing their contact info saying to call them for your needs. I dont have the issue here... it was a few months back. The one with seaotter coverage showing the new mongoose that EC is supposed to be riding... rather than the Turners he previously rode.... maybe another pooster might have their contact info. they have a website too......

As far as dimensions and specs, ill leave that up to the other experts on the forums. I dont wanna give you bad info.....

also keep an eye on e-bay. My friend scored a ti spring for his spot a while back..... for 140 usd roughly.....

·
Registered
145 Posts
123bikes

rone said:
Having read all the bits on here about ti springs - it seemed a bit of a nightmare. So I emailed a few UK suppliers and they were coming back with "what diameter is it?" and "we might have."

So it follows that I am worried I may end up with an incorrect size or something.

Can anyone recommend a fairly trusted way of getting exactly what I need (a replacement ti spring for a romic twin tube 5 spot 2 x 550 )? UK or US along with the exact spec.

Thanks.

Did some riding up in scotland at the weekend, the climbing on this thing is awesome. I am climbing everything.
I ordered mine through 123bikes.com and have been riding it for 2 months now and am happy with it. The springs are made by Renton Coil Spring as described by Oly. Here is the link: http://www.123bikes.com/details.php?startpage=bikes&item_id=863

Good luck.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
The RCS online store lists the free length, but not the compressible length. How silly is that? We need both. A weight would be useful too so we wouldn't end up with a HEAVIER spring.

Also, does the new DHX take standard Fox diameter springs (1.37") or something wider like Romic's (1.5")?

·
Registered
611 Posts
DHX Ti spring

The Ti Spring that RCS is making for DHX has an inside diameter of 1.43". This same spring will fit the DHX, Swinger, and 5th Element.

I have a PDF doc from RCS that contains all of the scoop including free length, ID, OD, rate, and weight. I don't know how to post a PDF but I would be happy to email it if someone wanted a copy.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Dave in Driggs said:
I have a PDF doc from RCS that contains all of the scoop including free length, ID, OD, rate, and weight. I don't know how to post a PDF but I would be happy to email it if someone wanted a copy.
When you reply to a post (not quick reply) you get the 'upload images" button down below the text box. However, you can upload and attach any of these file types: bmp doc gif jpe jpeg jpg pdf png psd txt zip. Seems like it is worth a try. I've never done it.

·
Registered
611 Posts
RCS PDF document

Ok, I'll try it.

tscheezy said:
When you reply to a post (not quick reply) you get the 'upload images" button down below the text box. However, you can upload and attach any of these file types: bmp doc gif jpe jpeg jpg pdf png psd txt zip. Seems like it is worth a try. I've never done it.

Attachments

·
Registered
850 Posts
Thanks for the PDF.... doesnt seem like they make too many offerings in 2" stroke....450 or 600..... thats at least according to that chart. Who uses what size ID (36 or 38mm??)

lets see, Ti springs for the spot and DHR.... or new fork?? I think i have to choose new fork for now.... but one day ill win the lottery and be able to afford all the fancy tidbits ive always wanted....

·
Registered
136 Posts
Since, I have the DHX 5.0 coming my way tomorrow. While I am at it... a Ti spring could be in order.... what are the exact spring dimensions for the DHX?

·
Registered
136 Posts
DHX spring information for 5-Spot:

Just got off the phone with Fox:

1.) Free length:
-Maximum length = 5.5"
-Suggested = 5.25"

2.) I.D = 1.375"

3.) O.D. = 2.0"

4.) Stroke:
-Minimum = 2.0
-Suggested = 2.25

·
Registered
686 Posts
UK Ti Spring Source

rone said:

Thanks.

Did you try MOJO.They may have it they are the major shock guys over there.It is who Peaty uses.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
RCS info I have

tscheezy said:
The RCS online store lists the free length, but not the compressible length. How silly is that? We need both. A weight would be useful too so we wouldn't end up with a HEAVIER spring.

Also, does the new DHX take standard Fox diameter springs (1.37") or something wider like Romic's (1.5")?
Hopefully this will post. It is info on the Romic spring in Ti that you might find interesting.

Attachments

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
DHRracer said:
Did you try MOJO.They may have it they are the major shock guys over there.It is who Peaty uses.
Yeah, and I've been a bit lazy but the fact they came back to me to ask for measurements of the spring concerned me - I quite wrongly thought they would know. So it left me with the naggin doubt that I would get sent the wrong size.

But thanks for all the tips, 123 is looking the best option.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Larry at Mtnhighcyclery

As a UK Turner 5 Spot owner I got my ti spring for the Romic from Larry at mtnhighcyclery in Colorado by mail order, you'll find that lots of people here rate him highly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts