Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having reoccurring issues with the bearings on my Hope Pro 2 Evo 170mm rear hub (not the new 40 poi one). I also had issues with the Alloy fh body and burning through bearings (Hope sent me a Steel fh body as a warranty replacement :thumbsup:).

Well, after a call to Hope USA and a conversation with Phil, we have a new plan of attack. He sent me all new bearings for the entire hub and fh, and the new bearings are the same ones found in the new 40 poi hub. My current bearings have Stainless Steel races and stainless bearings, while the new bearings have steal bearings, which were what were utilized in the older "bomb proof" Hope hubs.

Let's keep our fingers crossed. :yesnod:

·
Registered
213 Posts
1st set of bearings here. Everything started to feel rough after a wet/muddy day out. Probably time for new bearings.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I don't know what the heck is going on with components these days, (I have all hope in my bike). The bearings suck ! It's almost like they make them shite, so as to force an upgrade to ceramics. What's with this feed-the-machine type of manufacturing?...

Let me rant about grease as well. All new grease sucks! Doesn't last, easily washed out with water, doesn't rust-inhibit, film strength blows, etc. We need a chemist to get a sample of Bullshot from somewhere, and make it again!

Mods please delete if to ranty.

·
aka bOb
8,813 Posts
I don't know what the heck is going on with components these days, (I have all hope in my bike). The bearings suck ! It's almost like they make them shite, so as to force an upgrade to ceramics. What's with this feed-the-machine type of manufacturing?...

Let me rant about grease as well. All new grease sucks! Doesn't last, easily washed out with water, doesn't rust-inhibit, film strength blows, etc. We need a chemist to get a sample of Bullshot from somewhere, and make it again!

Mods please delete if to ranty.
Nope almost perfect but you some of these guys forgot:incazzato::incazzato::incazzato::incazzato::incazzato:

·
Registered
747 Posts
I cracked an aluminum freehub shell on a fatsno after about a year of use. They sent a steel replacement but I noticed the bearings were trash too. I need to give Hope a call :)

·
Registered
7,361 Posts
As a longterm user of Hope stuff I was a bit sceptical of these problems because my experiences have all been very good. Hope has been my goto product for longterm use.

But today I was in the lbs, and the mechanic was dismantling a new wheel to replace a brandnew Hope hub. The hub was rocking from new. The bearings were a finger fit in the shell.

The mechanic was a bit peeved - he'd recommended the hubs to the guy, built the wheel up, and the problem only became obvious when the wheel was put in the forks, luckily before it was handed over.

·
Registered
194 Posts
As a longterm user of Hope stuff I was a bit sceptical of these problems because my experiences have all been very good. Hope has been my goto product for longterm use.
That has been my frustration. They were my goto parts as well. It's a shame disposable-ism has reached them too.

^^^
That might be to harsh on Hope. More research today has got me thinking, that it's the greases being reformulated for eco reasons, rather than being formulated for ultra long life. I don't know, just tired on continous spending..

·
Registered
400 Posts
I had to replace the freehub in my Mukluk 3 (formula) hub after 1 1/2 seasons. I thought that was poor and was considering getting a Hope hub for better reliability. After reading these problems I don't think I will!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Same here. Blew a hope fatsno hub bearing after 300mi. They sent me a new bearing no questions asked but I'm not optimistic about the long term reliability of this hub. Probably should replace all bearings with Enduros before the next one blows.

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update:

I pressed the old bearings out of the hub shell, and when pressing the new bearings and axle into the hub, experienced some binding of the bearings. There is an issue with the hub the goes a little deeper than bearing quality.

Called Phil at Hope again ( every time I have called Hope USA a human answered and Phil was on the phone within a minute....which is cool in my book ) and he agreed that something is not right. He agreed to send me a brand new 40poi hub as a warrantly replacement. Props to him for that!!

I mentioned that I had upgraded to the steel fh body, and he said I can use the same one on the new hub. How do I can more poi with the same amount of pawls? Explain it to me like I am 5.

So I started the process of extracting the old bearings, and was able to pull the inner race and balls out of the inner most bearing by hand. Now I have to figure out how to get the outer race out of there!! FFFFFFFFFFFF

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
You need to go to a garage and find someone with a set of bearing pullers jonshonda. Will take a couple of minutes with one. They can be tappped out with home made punches (i use a metal ended screw driver i took a grinder to) but the shell could get damaged doing this,

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
coastkid71, the problem with the bearing this happened to is that the id of the shell is the same id as the outer race of the bearing. Which means there is nothing to grab on to. No area for punches or screwdrivers to get the thing moving.

What I ended up having to do is take a dremel and grind the outer race of the bearing down enough, so it was thin and then I was able to just break it and pry it out.

I have the new hub in my hands (two days from HOPE, pretty good!!) and the steel fh is packed with new bearings. Now I just have to have a buddy swap out the hubs for me!!

If my white spokes weren't soooo damn expensive, I might consider going I9.

·
Fat & Single
4,130 Posts
It says 40poi next to the PRO 2 evo logo on the hub.
Not necessarily....

I have built 2 sets of 29er wheels recently with the new hubs and they definitely say "40T" below the evo logo.

Just received a set of Fatsnos, rear hub serial number RHPRE32N170QR40T that has no "40" markings on the hubs shell. Clicked it around and it has 40 points of engagement.

Wrong shell ? Using up old shells ?

It's a bonus anyway as it was bought without "40" being mentioned on the ad (cyclesports)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts