Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Specialized Rockhopper. The first night I bought it, I took it for a quick ride around my neighborhood, and I turned the lock-out on the suspension on, making the fork essentially rigid. Well, I just took it out on my first trail ride, and I forgot to unlock the suspension, so I rode it with the rigid fork. It was anything crazy, probably 2-3 miles of trails total, no jumps, or anything crazy, just windy and a decently bumpy; I was going somewhat slow for a majority of it. Anyway, I was wondering if this could cause any damage to the bike?

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Nothing to worry about. The lockout mechanism on the Dart 3 is designed to give under pressure to prevent any damage to the fork. You'll notice that even with the fork locked out, there's still a little give to the fork.

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
generally lock outs are used for long climbs, enabling you to put all your energy into pedaling and not suspension flex. Once you get used to the suspension you will be able to use it to pop and hop on to and over things, you can also use it to your advantage when going through dips , you can pump it when hitting the bottom of the dip and it will pop you out. Dont be too quick to use the lock out

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think my brother had my dart3 locked one day while noodling around on my bike and broke the fork banging around on curbs. Either way it did break, and that's the only major trauma I can think the fork may have experienced.

Not sure though, I never diagnosed the problem, just ditched the thing for a rigid fork.

·
Registered
350 Posts
yeah, i have a pike team coil uturn, 1st day i had my bike, 1st day with lockout. i forgot to open it and took a jump, the fork barely gave when i was expecting it to, and threw me waay off course, that was 3 years and about 5000 kms ago. 0 problems since.

·
Registered
7 Posts
yeah, i have a pike team coil uturn, 1st day i had my bike, 1st day with lockout. i forgot to open it and took a jump, the fork barely gave when i was expecting it to, and threw me waay off course, that was 3 years and about 5000 kms ago. 0 problems since.
I have a lockout on my folks but cannot really observe any difference when it is on or off. I bought the bike second hand and wonder if any tuning is required over time. Same with the preload I have tried to adjust this and can feel no difference either way.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I appreciate this thread is some years old, I came across it on a google search.

·
Cow Clicker
2,031 Posts
You can break the mechanism. Most people never use it. If the fork works and doesn't leak, you're fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Both symptoms make it sound like you've lost a lot/all of the fluid in the fork damper.

-S
I see, it is a 2007 model and second hand to me only recently so this would make perfect sense actually. Since I have no clue what I am doing with it I will take it to a bike shop and have them take a look. I am assuming no fluid - potential damage?

·
Picture Unrelated
5,123 Posts
I see, it is a 2007 model and second hand to me only recently so this would make perfect sense actually. Since I have no clue what I am doing with it I will take it to a bike shop and have them take a look. I am assuming no fluid - potential damage?
Potentially there could be damage, but it's probably just as likely that it's mostly fine. Your bike shop will should be able to tell you once they get it apart.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here you go - every technical manual about the RS Tora

If you're competent with a wrench, the work isn't hard at all.

-S
Excellent and I am mildly competent. I don't mind getting stuck in. My bike shop is round the corner should I have any problems with the process. Will take a look the middle of next week I get married on Saturday so have much to do.

·
Banned
1,101 Posts
Excellent and I am mildly competent. I don't mind getting stuck in. My bike shop is round the corner should I have any problems with the process. Will take a look the middle of next week I get married on Saturday so have much to do.
Congrats on the ball and chain! I've been in the same boat for 12 years. LOL

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.