Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new stem for my bike and I had to loosen the top cap for the headset to put the new stem on. I screwed the bolt and cap back on tight when I put the new stem on, but there is a little movedment between the fram and headset (it seems like the frame is a little too big for the part). Someone suggested to hold the front brake when screwing down the top cap and this should solve the problem. Is a little movement normal with some headsets, or should there be none at all?

·
Registered
681 Posts
It sounds like your headset might not be adjusted properly. Did you follow the installation instructions for the headset (i.e. properly adjusting torque on the top cap before tightening down the stem?). If not, try following this link to the Park Tool website and read the bottom section called Headset Adjustment - Threadless Type.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=65

Hopefully that will help!

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
It could be that the height of the clamp of the new stem is smaller than the old stem. If this is the case you would be able to tighten the top cap fully but still not compress the bearing all the way. If you can tighten the top cap until it's tight and you still have play, I think this would be your problem. You will have to add a spacer below the stem, you might be able to get away with adding it above. If you don't want to change your handlebar height, look for one thin as possible, like 3mm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.