Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried to adjust shifting using the barrel screw where the cable meets the shifter. Not having any luck getting shifting to work properly through all the gears. I've tried turning the barrel screw a little at a time and shifting still does not work throughout all 11 gears. Thought I'd ask this question before I loosen the cable at the derailleur since I am not sure how to go about that without it being a hit and miss operation.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
I've tried to adjust shifting using the barrel screw where the cable meets the shifter. Not having any luck getting shifting to work properly through all the gears. I've tried turning the barrel screw a little at a time and shifting still does not work throughout all 11 gears. Thought I'd ask this question before I loosen the cable at the derailleur since I am not sure how to go about that without it being a hit and miss operation.
My advise: watch some videos on YouTube how to set it up...
It doesn't have to be XX1.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
If its a new bike or newly installed cables, its probably just cable stretch. One way to fix it is to just click your shifter to the lowest numbered gear and you can probably tell by feeling that cable to see how loose it is. All you'd have to do is just loosen the bolt pinning the cable down at the derailleur and pull on the cable (easier with pliers) then retighten. That should fix it.

·
Your Best Friend
5,301 Posts
Make sure the cable is routed correctly through the derailleur. It's trickier than most.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup. I did (by accident I must admit) find that the cable was loose. So I unbolted the cable, tightened the barrel screw at the shifter, then backed off 3 turns as a just in case, re-tightened the bolt at the derailleur, and that took care of it.

Thanks for your reply -

·
Registered
89 Posts
Have you verified your high and low limit settings are correct. Might be what is causing you issues all the way across the cassette.

·
Registered
90 Posts
SRAM is more sensitive to cable friction IME. That's always the first thing I check when trouble shooting a SRAM drive train.
So what is "correct" tension? And how do you set the limits? I know mechanically how but how far do you go with each? There seems to be a range (on each limit) that will work, but I'm sure there's an ideal way. Obviously specific info to XO1 is helpful too.

I recently did a 1x10 X9 and set it up from scratch. It was butter smooth and flawless. My XO1, not so much.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts