Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
T.W.O.
8,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a hard time getting the Stainless steel King headset. I have a Parktool headset remover but no matter how hard I hammer it just didn't move. I've pulled the standard Kings headset before from one bike to another and have no problems with it.

Any suggestion is appreciated.

·
T.W.O.
8,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
slider32 said:
This is the King stainless deep insertion headset? They are about 3x deeper than a regular headset, and will be a ***** to get out. You need a bigger hammer.
You ain't kidding it's one tough sob to get out. I just sprayed liquid wrench and let it soak. Hopefully I'd have better luck tonight.

Yes it's a deep cup headset. I've never had any problems taken out any head set before. I'll consider bigger hammer. Now I wonder installing the headset would be as difficult.

Thanks guys,

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
You may have luck with steaming the frame with a kettle....aluminium and steel expand at slightly different rates, and steam is a low enough temp not to change the temper of the aluminium.

Might just crack whatever skin is holding the two togeather.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I am with jeff. I think heat might be the next option. I would even try cold as well. If you can somehow freeze the headset and apply heat to the frame at the same time it might free it up alittle so you can hammer it out. Now how to apply the heat and cold with out messing anything up. I was thinking maybe dry ice and a propane touch on low.

·
T.W.O.
8,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, I just spoke to someone at Kings they suggested similar method to Brent878 to cool the head tube with compressed air. I soaked the headtube all day today I hope I have better luck tonight or tomorrow morning.

I have all the tool to do either hot or cold so well see if I have to go there. Last time the bolt set on my Seven Duo links I tried both hot and cold, it didn't work I took it to several Seven dealers and none could take it out they all wanted to drill to out, so I took it home and do it myself who better to destroy it than me right?:)

I'll keep y'all posted.

·
Hi.
3,865 Posts
Hey Mimi,

Those aerosol cans used to clean electronics work well for cooling stuff down. Hold the can upside-down when you spray it, and the liquid CO2 will come out and be plenty cold. Also, the plastic straw makes it easy to get into tight places.

·
T.W.O.
8,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
jtmartino said:
Hey Mimi,

Those aerosol cans used to clean electronics work well for cooling stuff down. Hold the can upside-down when you spray it, and the liquid CO2 will come out and be plenty cold. Also, the plastic straw makes it easy to get into tight places.
Hey King! Thanks, I did tried that I have a compressed air in the can I dumped quite a bit on the head tube I moved it a little.

Updated, I finally got it out:thumbsup: Actually I took it to my shop this morning my Mech had a hard time with it too. He used a mini sledge hammer to pound it out. After he got the bottom one out he flipped the frame and started working on the top cup. I asked if I can give it a whack. It took 3-4 times more effort than the normal one for sure. Now I know.

What I learn from this? Cooling method is a bit easier well faster than hot( steaming) a couple of burst seems to do the job. Bigger heavier hammer made the job easier. It's way harder to get it out than one would think even when the cup is already start moving same force still require to get the cup out.

Thanks all for helping.:thumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.